Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, May 7, 2010

The Breastfeeding Scam :)

Sam turned 1 month today! I can't believe it. To celebrate, she actually slept for a 3 hour stretch last night. (Normally she sleeps for 10 minute periods, followed by hours of awake/grunting/fussing time). It was so awesome, even if it was a fluke. And let's hope it wasn't a fluke!

Pediatrician said she's doing great, but for the reflux/fussiness recommended we give her some rice cereal. Geez, she seems so young for that! She got her Hep B vaccine, and was so brave! She cried only for 30 seconds.

Now onto the big breastfeeding scam. I'm pumping my butt off - at least 6 times a day. Everyone says how breastfeeding makes you ravenously hungry, how you can eat anything, and that you lose weight. All three have proven untrue for me. WTH! I eat like a BIRD, rarely hungry, and I'm not losing ANY weight from all the pumping/milk production.

In fact, in 4 weeks I've only lost 20 of the 35 pounds I gained. And I'm already GAINING WEIGHT BACK. This is me eating like 2 meals a day, not eating anything bad, and pumping up a storm. All these people keep saying how in 3 weeks they were below their pre-pregnancy weight. I've been stuck 15lbs over my pre-weight and freaking gaining a pound a week.

dude....

9 comments:

Meredith said...

Congrats on the stretch of sleep.

RE: Breastfeeding/weight/eating- maybe you aren't eating enough? The body often goes into survival mode if you aren't and stores/maintains more than it should.

Carey said...

I didn't fall into the 'lose weight while BFing' group either. I think it just varies from person to person. And yeah for 3 hours!! :)

Melissa said...

Make sure you are eating and drinking enough water. If you aren't getting enough calories it can have a serious impact on your supply.

Yay for 3 hours!!

Kathryn said...

PROTEIN LOAD!!! Without enough protein, you won't make enough milk to lose weight!
Also, try oatmeal, fenugreek and pump marathons, 20 minutes on 20 minutes off for a couple of hours in the evening.
Also, if it's still painful, try nipple shields.

Good luck!

CD and SP said...

not for nothing, but S. didn't lose weight while breastfeeding either. she didn't lose any of her pregnancy weight. well, she did, but stressfully gained it back and breastfeeding did not help keep it off. our m/w said there are 2 kinds of women--those for whom it falls off, and those for whom it hangs on. whichever it does is your body's natural instincts.

Anonymous said...

I gained 25 lbs in pregnancy, breastfed and pumped enough for both of our kids and never lost any weight! So unfair!

For the Long Haul said...

I agree with others--eat and make sure to drink!! It might help. And I have been stuck at the same weight forever and I am STILL nursing. Didn't make a damn difference. I guess we are all different...

Yay on the 3 hours!

Two Moms, Two Monkeys said...

I was totally starving after the twins were born and ate more than when I was pregnant! Still lost all the weight and then some, but I think its because of the issues I had during pregnancy. I lost 18 pounds during the first 3 months of pregnancy and then had a really hard time gaining what I needed throughout the rest of my pregnancy. I think it contributed to our pre-term delivery and would trade with you anyday! Since I've gone back to work I've gained 10lbs and I'm still pumping! which I'm not thrilled about. Can't win em' all...

Anonymous said...

Chiming in really late here....

2 things...

1) You DEFINITELY need to eat more. You need 300-500 EXTRA calories just to support BFing.

2) OATMEAL!!!! Did wonders for my supply. Just one package of quaker instant stuff a day...Also, Fenugreek (mother's milk brand)really helps.

Sounds like you are doing great though!!! Hope you get long stretches of sleep here soon. This is a tough time in the sleep dept!!!