Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, June 11, 2010

Mastitis

The last few days, my left boob (especially) has gotten painfully sore. Certain spots I can't touch at all. last night I noticed red patches on that boob, and even some veins turning reddish.

I felt like I had the flu all night - soooo achy and chilled to the bone. Saw my OB today. He took one look at me: mastitis.

Holy sh*tballs, this sucks. Each hour today I feel 100x worse. My body is full-blown achy now, even my finger and toe joints hurt like hell. My boob is on fire, I'm afraid to pump! (I know I need to)

The worst part is we leave for a Santa Barbara vacation today. :( I'll start my antibiotics tonight. Man, it's scary being home alone with Sam like this. I feel like I'm going to collapse from the bone-draining exhaustion and pain. I was worried I'd drop her so now she's in her swing.

Damn. Mastitis, eh.

6 comments:

For the Long Haul said...

I had it three times with my son and once with my daughter. You're right, it is HORRIBLE. The good news is you will feel better really quickly once you get some antibiotics in you. But remember, you still have to get the clogged duct out. LOTS of pumping (I know...I know...) while pushing on the hard spots. Warm compress first, then pumping (or nursing) while pushing on the clogged spots. Rinse and repeat every couple of hours. It will suck at first but if you do it, you will feel a thousand times better by tomorrow. Hang in there and good luck!

bleu said...

I just had it a week ago. It sucks and is sooo awful when the body aches hit like a brick wall. This time I cured it in 24 hours with homeopathy. It was wonderful. I used Phytolacca Decandra. I think I only ended up using 4 doses in total. It was sooo much better than going on antibiotics and then worrying about thrush.

Good luck.

Two Moms, Two Monkeys said...

Oh boy does it suck! I just had it about a month ago for the first time, and it was totally unexpected since I've been at this whole pumping/nursing thing awhile now. My boob was a little hard in one spot but I didn't think much of it. I knew about mastitis but forgot and didn't even realize what it was. I thought I had the flu so naturally I took the day off from work and had my mom come in and watch the boys while I rested, drank lots of fluids and took the big guy to bed with me to nurse so I didn't have to pump. I ended up curing myself not even realizing it was mastitis. The big guy is a great nurser and totally pulled the plug out.

Anonymous said...

I hope that the drugs do the trick, and that you were able to enjoy some of your vacation!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

I don't have experience with mastitis, but wanted to recommend a great organic formula in the event that you need to supplementing. I used Baby's Only Dairy formula (they have soy, too) and it was great. It's marketing as a toddler formula b/c they promote breastfeeding for the first year, but I used when Graisen began daycare at 3 months (they were throwing away my b-milk if she didn't drink the full bottle within an hour. Can't waste that liquid gold).

I just started weaning her onto organic whole milk within the last month (she's 15 months now). I highly recommend it and they DHA supplement - all natural ingredients in both.

I wish you, Becky and Sam all the best!!!


Michele

Anonymous said...

Sorry for all of the typos - I'm at work and rushing! ; )