Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, March 28, 2011

Moving to Seattle!



Yep, moving to the land of overcast skies and rain - but also lush foliage, good skiing, microbrews. (My kinda place!) Becky's employer is transferring us to their Seattle/Kirkland office, since her team is based there. We have mixed feelings, but in the end I think it will be a good thing. I won't lie, we will dearly miss the warm sunny days of the Bay Area. It's 65 degrees and sunny today, in winter! We will miss our friends, and all the fun things to do here. It's hard starting over somewhere. It takes a while to settle in, make friends, and get your general bearings. ("Where's the nearest Whole Foods and Home Depot?")

Luckily, a few bloggers I've followed for years are up there, and have offered a warm welcome. It will make a WORLD of difference to have "just add water" friends up there. Looks like we're moving sometime in September!

Now onto other subjects:
1. Samantha turns 1 in a week. Holy crap, that went by fast. I just booked her party venue today at a local toddler gym. She had so much fun at the class today.
2. The stay at home mom thing is getting really hard. Sam throws terrible tantrums every 10 minutes, and she knows how to push my last buttons. A few times I actually yelled at her, and felt really bad afterwards. I realized that I have taken NO time for myself. I never get babysitters, never go to the gym, never take even an hour to myself. I am always always always attached to her hip, and it's not healthy. I signed us up for 3 classes a week, so that we can get out of the house and have pleasant time together. I am also going to have a babysitter come by for 3 hours once a week so I can see a movie, sleep, etc. A lot of people I've met have relatives who watch their kids during the week - I wish I had that luxury! I'm just worn out from 3+ months of 24/7 mommy duty.
3. We are trying for #2 soon! Becky is preparing for an IVF cycle. We're hoping it will work, although we have a few challenges. She has PCOS, is fairly out of shape (we both are!), and we only plan to transfer 1 back - which, at her age of 37, minimizes chances of success. We realized that we could never do selective reduction if she got pregnant with twins, and we are NOT about to become a 3-kid family on one income. (BTW I hold absolutely NO judgment for those who choose selective reduction. Honest!)

So there you go: Seattle, 1st birthday, and IVF. :)

6 comments:

shroomie said...

big news! how exciting - congrats!

K J and the kids said...

WOW ! Seattle is a good place to go as far as places to go, go. :)
It's family friendly and by family I mean gay of course.

I know all too well the stuck at the hip dilema. I'm SO glad that you will soon have some relief.

Can't wait for word on the IVF.

Lots to be excited about.

Jen said...

Wow! Three big topics... You need to blog more ;) can't wait to hear more about everything!

Pufferfish said...

Wow! That's a lot of stuff going on. I saw on your FB it said Oregon and I was like..."What?" Where you going to move to Oregon? Dunno.
Anyway, I'm jealous you'll be so close to Poppy!! Seattle will be nice, but yeah, different and there's all that rain to get used to. But I hope you will be happy.
SAHM stuff is HARD, no kidding!
Can't wait to hear more on the IVF.
Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

You sure do post a serious update! The move sounds exciting and I SO, SO hear you about the SAHM thing. It's an intense gig for sure. Thinking about you guys in all that lies ahead.

Robbie said...

What's wrong with having 3 kids on 1 income? What are you saying? Is that a personal attack aimed directly at me? RUDE! :) Doncha love it when you say something tiny and true and inoffensive and it starts WWIII?

Congrats on the future "alone time", the move AND the upcoming IVF. Big changes ahead for you gals. :)