Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Need to pick your brains again

It looks like I'm getting my period today or tomorrow - so exciting!!!! This will hopefully be my first cycle back on the TTC train, after a 4 month pause.

We will be seeing the new RE, and have our new donor vials ready. Starting this cycle, I will be using Femara (or Clomid)

Question for you all:
How did taking Femara (or Clomid) affect your ovulation? I have a pretty regular cycle: 29-30 days, and I'm pretty sure I ovulate around CD15 (+/- 1 day). I've heard that Femara can make you ovulate 2-3 days early. One woman ovulated 5 days earlier!

My new RE said she has patients take Femara (or Clomid) CD3-7, then come in for an U/S on CD12. I'm worried CD12 might be too late? What if I ovulate on that day? That wouldn't leave me enough time to race to pickup the vials.

What do I do?? Should I ask for an U/S on CD11? I'm worried I'll end up paying for like, 5 ultrasounds - until we pinpoint the best time to trigger/IUI.

For any of you who've taken Femara/Clomid, I'd love to hear your experiences. (side effects, ovulation date changes, BFN/BFP, how many follies you had, etc.)

Wow - it's so weird to be back on the TTC train again. I gotta remember how to do this thang again. :)

7 comments:

The Amily Diaries said...

So exciting that you are starting to try again :]
I took clomid days 3-7 at 25mg (half the low dose). Then I started ovulation testing at home with clear blue easy (not the digital one) on day 10. I didn't ovulate till day 16 , which was pretty regular for me. So I don't think clomid made me ovulate any earlier. When I went in on the day of IUI they did an ultrasound before the IUI.
I think the higher dose of clomid the more likely you are to ovulate earlier.

Inlocoparentis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have 28-30 day cycles and ovulated around CD14 when I was just charting (not TTC yet). I've taken either Clomid or Femara (at the lowest doses) for eight cycles. I go in on CD11 for the u/s, trigger that day, and have the IUI on CD12. (One time the follicles weren't quite ready on CD11, so I triggered on CD12.)

I vote for doing your first follicular ultrasound on CD11, just in case you're an early responder.

Welcome back on the TTC bus, and good luck!

Heidi said...

I did 9 total cycles of clomid-2 pregnancies, one chemical, one late m/c (17 weeks). I found the side effect awful-hot flashes, mood swings. If given the opportunity I would not go back to it, but would choose femera instead.

Oh, I normally ovulated around day 18-20, clomid moved it up to 16-18.

Good luck!!

Jen said...

I found that using clomid made my 28-29 day cycles fairly regular in terms of ovulation. I would have sonograms on day 12 and there was ALWAYS a big follicle and we would trigger that night for insems on day 13 and 14 (12 and 36 hrs post trigger). This last month I took femara and the side effects were SO much better than on clomid. I would recommend that over clomid any day. But, I am still not preg, so I don't know the magic formula. We are switching docs at the new year and maybe we will do things differently. Good luck this month!

Pufferfish said...

I took/am taking Clomid on days 5-9. I go in for U/S on Day 11 and then could trigger on Day 12 doing IUI's 24 and 36 hours apart (Day 13 and Day 14).

Anonymous said...

For two months I was on 50 mg of clomid, for two months I've been on 100 mg. I always take it on CD3 through CD7. I don't have any serious side effects - just some headaches and wacky ovary twinges.

Clomid didn't do much to increase the amount of eggs I was producing.. sadly. I kind of wonder why I'm still on it. However, one good thing it does is shorten my cycle from 31-36 days to a regular 28 day cycle now. So, I ovulate on day 14. I get an ultrasound on day 13 to check the follies.

Good luck, good luck, good luck!