I think I have a thrush infection. And I think I've had it for 4+ weeks.
Symptoms:
*shooting pains in my boob on/off all day
*white crud/patches around my nips
*horrific raw feeling on and around my nips. If anything (water, tshirt, bra) touches them, it feels like sandpaper on an open wound
*pumping is so painful - feels like glass coming out of my nips
*red raw circles around my nips
I figured I just had sensitive nips, but it's been 8 weeks of pumping and I would have toughened up by now. Sam doesn't have any white patches in her mouth. I called her pedi, and her pedi said as long as there's no white patches, she doesnt need to be treated. WTF? Everything I read says if one person has it, both need to be treated, because otherwise we'll just pass it back and forth. And babies don't always display symptoms, but they can still have it.
My OB prescribed me some cream to apply twice a day. So far it hasn't helped. They want me to keep trying it until tomorrow afternoon, and call if it's not better. I feel like this will never go away. Do I need to rinse with vinegar? Some sites say I need to boil everything that touches my boobs/baby's mouth for 20 min a day. My doc didn't tell me any of this, so I don't know what to do.
On top of this, B caught a horrible head cold. We're hoping Samantha and I don't get it. We'd hate for our 8 week old to get this virus. We're supposed to go to LA next week, and B and I had planned a day at Disneyland while my mom watched Sam. Now I dunno if that's gonna happen. Bummer.
Anyone dealt with thrush? How long did it take to heal, what did you do?
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Thrush
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Ryan and I had thrush about a month ago. We had gone to one pedi who gave drops for his mouth and my nips. I had a bad feeling so we went to another pedi for a second opinion. Good thing! She prescribed pills for me and drops for Ryan's mouth. She also wanted us to put baby acidophilus (powder) in one of his breastmilk bottles each day.
She advised to stay away from sugar and white flour as it feeds the yeast. Lots of air time for the boobies. Keeping them in your bra/shirt provides a warm, dark environment which can breed the yeast.
We sterlized all of Ryan's toys and my pumping equipment. Yeast is no joke! Once we were on the medication, the pain started to ease up in a day or two. I was surprised how quickly it worked.
I hope you guys are feeling better soon! Thrush is SO PAINFUL... just don't give up!!
Oh, and if you have a private window in the house, you can expose your nipple to sunshine for a few minutes. Yeast hates the sun!
What Laurie said--the pills are Diflucan and you have to take them for like, a week. Also gentian violet, but be prepared for your baby to look like she's been sucking on a fountain pen nib and also for your nursing bras and t-shirts to get stained purple if you wear them, but just close the blinds and make like National Geographic.
Ugh, that sucks. No advice but I hope it goes away soon.
Post a Comment