Well here I am again! Sorry for disappearing so much, we have a lot going on. To name a few:
* Moving in a few months to Seattle!
* Becky is going through an IVF cycle as we speak
* Been traveling to Orange County and Seattle the past few months
* Samantha had to get an MRI last week
We just got the results back from her MRI yesterday. The good news is she doesn't have hydrocephaly. She DOES, however, have "benign enlargement of the subarachnoid space." It's a fancy way of saying she has external hydrocephaly, where the fluid is OUTSIDE of her brain, in the space between her brain and skull. It causes kids to have larger heads. In many cases, the kids are fine, develop normally. Sometimes the fluid builds up too much, and they need a shunt. We're hoping she's in the majority where it's not really a huge deal. She'll just have a bigger than normal head. :)
I'm more concerned about her lack of walking and talking. She crawls VERY fast, and has been crawling for 6 months now. No matter what we do, she doesn't want to walk, or try walking. We walk around the house with her, holding her hands. If we let go, she falls immediately or after 1-2 steps. It's like she has no balance. She has ear tubes, so I don't think it's fluid in her ears. Maybe it's because her head is big, I don't know. Maybe she just crawls so fast that she doesnt have ANY interest in learning how to walk. She's been cruising well for 5+ months now. People said "oh she'll walk soon after cruising!" Not in this case!
it's embarrassing when I take her to her gym classes, and all the kids (many younger than she is) are running around, and she's just sitting or crawling. Same with talking. She babbles all the time, but doesn't say anything. Other kids her age are saying 5 words. She says "no" occasionally, and "that." She doesn't say mama, doggie, etc.
....So, should we be concerned, or is this normal? I know some kids take longer to walk and talk. I just wish she would start walking soon. I would feel so much better! When did all your kids start walking and saying 2-5 words?
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
14.5 months - can't walk and doesn't talk yet. ??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Our daughter didn't walk until she was 15 months. And it happened really quickly - It was like one week I thought she was another month away & the next day she was walking.
Talking too. She's behind and we have a CT that comes to the house every week. (Communication Therapist) It's helped a lot and I'd be happy to share some of her advice. keriljones@hotmail.com Our daughter is almost 2 tho...
Otherwise, just give her time. She'll be running circles in no time!
I don't think it's unusual for her to not have 5 words yet. She's just over a year and she has a couple. I wouldn't worry about that.
Same with walking. There's a large range of normal and she's still quite young.
Try not to compare and read too much into things like '5 words by this age'. I know it's hard not to. But not all kids do all those things by those times. All kids are different. Even my experience with my second son has been very different from the first as far as developmental milestones go.
I commented on facebook, but I will here as well. Chunk walked at 14 months but is 18 months and still doesn't talk much. He does babble and is saying more everyday, but all kids are different and grow at different paces. Don't worry too much, although I know it is easier said than done. We all worry, that is a mother's job. At his 18 month appointment last week they asked how many words he could say, minimum being 7. We said probably 6 or 7. They were fine with that. It will be okay... BUT, HELLO IVF? Way to drop that information and not talk about it!!!!!!!!!
You're a mom. You have to be concerned. I spend my time alternating between worrying and relaxing.
I just checked to be sure. Nathan walked at just over 14 months and Corwyn a week later. Corwyn had shown no interest in it until Nathan did and even then, he was more blase about it. And while there was only a 1 week lag in walking, there had been a 4 month lag in crawling.
Now, at just over 24 months, Nathan is talking quite well and Corwyn is taking his time. And yeah, sometimes I worry, but most of the time I know that he does things in his own way at his own pace.
Here's to a wonderful IVF experience (well, you now what I mean)
I think everyone has said it very well. It all sounds very normal.
That said. I had a friend who's daughter was 16 months before taking a step. She's the same age as my Syd and can out dance (and I mean that in a technical...she's a great dancer kind of way) any kid. Including Syd. :)
Walking early won't make kids better "walkers" later in life. Or even more coordinated. or smarter.
Same thing with talkers. yes. there might be a delay....but just think. In 2nd grade. She'll be talking just as good as the kid in her gym class speaking 5 word sentences.
SO SO SO hard not to compare. SO SO SO hard not to read and ask and question all of it.
Thing is...the crappy answer of, "it might be normal, it might not" holds a lot of merit.
Keep working with her. Have fun. Try not to worry, but keep your mothers instincts out for anything you might be concerned with. and keep asking questions.
So excited about the IVF cycle.
Wow, hi... are we living the same life? My son Lucas is almost 17 months old and is scheduled for his MRI on the 28th for the EXACT same reasons-- large head. He also has tubes for reoccuring ear infections (I think up to 8...) and he just began walking confidently about two months ago and doesn't have any real clear words yet. Sometimes he'll say baby or ball, but it's rare.... I am in the same place as you right now-- also wondering the same things.
Was the MRI difficult? I haven't mentioned this at all on my blog, but I will likely post about it soon.... I am worried about him going under for the hour... The brief moment he was under to get his tubes wasn't that bad, but... an hour? Yikes!
Great responses from previous commenters. I just wanted to say that I'm in Seattle, so feel free to connect once you get settled in!
Great responses from previous commenters. I just wanted to say that I'm in Seattle, so feel free to connect once you get settled in!
I wouldnt be worried. Mys on is 16 months and he has just started walking maybe 2 months ago. He talks maybe 4 words.. He gets PT and a interventionist because of his birth experience and they said not to worry til 18 months.
Post a Comment