Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bad news. :(

Sam had her 15 month checkup today. To the pedi's surprise, her head jumped 1/2" in 3 months, and leaped up percentiles AGAIN. She is so far off the charts, it's ridic.

My normally happy-go-lucky pedi seems depressed by this news. We were hoping Sam's rapid growth would slow down. She wants Sam to come back in 6 weeks for another size check. If it's still showing rapid growth, she'll need ANOTHER MRI. Ugh!

If they see increased fluid around her brain, it's likely she will need a shunt put in her brain. She'd have to wear it her whole life, and the surgery comes with risks of death/infection. Not to mention having a shunt in your brain exposes you to infection, and she would probably feel ashamed of it and become very introverted.

I am just shattered by this news. We are praying that this jump in size was a fluke, and her head growth slows down. The next checkup in 6 weeks could determine her fate.

Ugh. This can't be happening. Not our daughter.

14 comments:

Jen said...

Ugh, I am so sorry you received this news. Let's hope in 6 weeks there is no growth and no more worries. Hugs.

tireegal68 said...

I'm so sorry about this bad news. It must be so depressing seeing your sweet baby heading for more tests and interventions. I hope that a. Her head slows it's growth and b. The docs can figure out what's up and get her better. The long term intervention sounds depressing and I hope you don't have to go that route for all your sakes. How's Sam seem and feeling? Is she getting on with toddlerdom oblivious to the issues? I hope she's not in pain or uncomfortable. Thinking of you and your little one:) ((( big hugs))

K J and the kids said...

I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. That is some seriously shitty news.
Here's a prayer for better news in 6 weeks.
Hugs.

N said...

I'm sorry about the news for sure, that has to be really hard to hear. One breath at a time, one step. You can do this.

One thing I'd say though, is don't have fears or doubts about her future IF she ends up having a shunt. There's no reason to say she'd feel embarrassed by it unless people make her feel that way. She's so young, it would just be how she is, and there's nothing wrong with it. There's absolutely no reason she can't be everything she wants to. (And hey, she might NOT have a shunt and be introverted. Speaking as an introvert, there's nothing wrong with that. ;-) )

(and an aside - iirc, most shunts like that are done under the skin, so aside from being careful about rough and tumble play, etc, I don't think anybody would even know unless they were told.)

Anyway. I'm just rambling, trying to bring a little sunshine - it's not a diagnosis yet, and even if it is, it's not the end of the world. But I know that it's got to be really hard to work through. Much love.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm talking out my ass and have no medical training but Sammy is bright and active and perfectly shaped as far as I could see. I think it's mandatory for you to get the tests and make sure she is healthy and developing properly but I think the tests will find that she's perfect in every way.

I'm sorry you are burdened with this worry and weight. The thought that something could be wrong with your child just shakes you to the foundation. I'm thinking of you and that darling little Sammy.

Let us know if we can help in any way. Can't wait to hear how things went with Becky.

Kara said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. :( Praying that in 6 weeks the update from the dr is better.

Dre said...

This sucks. I am so sorry you have to have this worry. As the mother of two very big-headed boys, I understand your concern, and have had multiple doctor's appointments as a result. All turned out well over here, just normal sized fellas with HUGE heads. Here is hoping the same thing holds true for Sam!

-C- said...

How horrible. I am so sorry that this is happening to your precious baby girl. What could cause this? Why is it a lifelong problem? I will keep my fingers crossed for an 11th hour save from surgery. Hang in there.

CJ said...

I have no words, thinking of you all.

For the Long Haul said...

I'm so sorry to hear this...as a mom of a little boy who has had his share of medical issues (and was seen, and had an MRI for a SMALL head), I totally understand the feeling of going to the doc and leaving with that sinking feeling in your chest.

Here's hoping all is better in 6 weeks. I'll be pulling for all 3 of you.

Kerry Lynn said...

Just happened to click on over from Karen's blog for the first time.
I'm just so sorry for this news. I can't even imagine how worried you must be.
Good thoughts coming your way!

giggleblue said...

that totally sucks. i'm hoping that there isn't this growth in 6 weeks. i had a cousin with a shunt, and it was under the skin and ran into his stomach. you could see it a bit under the skin if you were looking hard behind his ear, but he's a boy - short hair.

sending vibes that all will be well.

Allison said...

Hi, I just found your blog via 2girls2dogs2cats and did a bit of catching up. I hope you guys are enjoying your summer and that things are well with Sam. I can relate to the worry over something being wrong with your baby. Hopefully if there is an issue, it has been caught early and will be dealt with in the best way possible. All the best.

Kim aka Mommy said...

Thinking of you 3...hoping all went well at the appt.