1. What breastpump (if you used one) was the best? And what accessories do I need to get for it?
2. Any tips on what to pack in the hospital bag, that isn't in the standard lists?
3. For those who've had a cesarean birth, I'd love to hear your experience during the surgery and what recovery was like for you.
I feel HUGE by the way. My belly is measuring about 3-4 weeks bigger than my gestational stage. I can't believe I have just over 9 weeks left. I'm getting really achy lately - horrible mid back pain, a pinched nerve in my lower back, sore hips, and the heaviness in my belly makes even a 5 minute walk almost too unbearable for me. When did I become such a wimp? LOL.
Birthing Class....
So this class is WAY too crunchy for us. It's supposed to be a class for folks open to epidural or natural. Apparently it leans 99% natural, and the one other couple like us got grilled last night for suggesting they want an epidural. I completely admire and respect women who do it naturally. For me, I guess I don't have that "thing" in me that wants to do it that way. I want an epidural - for me, that is the way I feel I will enjoy birth a bit more. As crazy as it sounds, I actually prefer and feel more comfortable in a medical environment with machines, doctors, etc. To each her own, I guess! I felt so bad that the other couple like us was judged so poorly last night. :(
Breech...
The birthing instructors recommended I try moxibustion (doing that tonight), putting ice on the top of my belly, laying inverted, and the Webster technique with a chiro. I will try each of these things to see if they turn baby. I just have a gut feeling she's not going to move. If she doesn't, I will gladly opt for a c-section. Most babies in my family come 14 days early, so I'm guessing they may want to schedule just before I potentially go into labor.
Is it weird that I'm not scared of a c-section? I mean crap, it's major abdominal surgery! I think because the 18 months of TTC involved so many medical procedures, surgeries, needles, docs...that the idea of being in surgery doesn't scare me. I must be numb to the surgical environment, and feeling like a science experiment. :)
Last but not least, my coworkers are all jealous I'm getting maternity leave. It's clear none of them have had kids, because they all tell me "Oh you are so lucky you get a few months off! You'll get to watch lots of TV, entire seasons of TV on Netflix, veg out.." Um, no. I will be feeding every 2 hours, not showering, trying to not have a mental breakdown, and trying to sleep anywhere I can. Whoever thinks maternity leave is like Club Med is so wrong.
Friday, February 12, 2010
Questions and Observations at 30.5 weeks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



22 comments:
Too bad that couple had to endure that cross examination. I hope they stood up for themselves and didn't allow the bullying.
After what you've been through to conceive and carry this baby to term i don't blame you for just wanting it out and home. I personally have always said i don't care what procedure is used to get it here just so i get a healthy one i can take home.
lol Carrie when I found out I was having twins I signed up for a c-section at 6 weeks! My doctor laughed but I was like no way am I going to deliver one of them naturally after hours of labor only to have the other one turn and need a c-section anyway!
I did end up have a c-sec since we were so early it was the only option so I'm very glad I didnt have my heart on a natural delivery because there was no way.
As for recovery, it varys greatly on the person. I had a super easy recovery, denied the pain meds, and was walking on my own with no assistance by day 2. Scar is very small, never gave me any trouble. I think the most painful part was when my OB pulled out the very long stitch. It felt like I was on fire for all of 5 seconds. That was it! I think Puffer has a much different story so again, depends on your body. ;)
Medela Breast pump all the way, its the cream of the crop and I loved mine. I do suggest renting one for a month or two from the hospital first, just in case breast feeding doesn't work out for you, at least then you haven't spent 300 bucks on a pump you dont' end up using. The medela accesories can all be bought at Babies r Us and usually even right at a pediatricians office. It comes with the tubs and breast cups and also breast milk storage bottles :) I bought a fresh set of the breast pieces every few months for cleanliness purposes and also because my dog used to steal them off the counter when they were drying lol
Alright, my opinions will most likely differ from most people....Breastpump, depends on how often you will use it. I do not like any medela because they back up into the pump if you are not sitting a certain way. I have the swing, I rented the Symphony for a month. I agree, they work the boobs great but I did not like them. I carry three pumps even now at a year. I use the lanisoh double electric, the lanisoh hand manual pump and the medela swing which is battery operated and a single pump. I've managed with all three because I work outside the home and had to pump and DID NOT want to ever supplement with formula....made it a year =)and still going. The lanisoh DB electric is way cheaper and I really think it was great. Milk could not back up but its not hospital grade so some dont like it. I did. Hospital bag, hmmm, there was not one thing I forgot or missed. Maybe my own cloth girly pads because those ginormous pads they give you are gross! Oh and maybe some tight shorts like work out pants to hold it up.
now this is the part Im not sure you want to hear so I will only go into detail if you want. I basically had the same situation as you, breech baby ( frank breech ) and I was forced to have a C section. Everyone told me they were a breeze but I was not so lucky. If you want to hear about it just ask...They are generally safe, take about half an hour and is routine surgery. If you hate pain, its the way to go instead of pushing. I wanted a natural birth but got something completely different....xo
I bought the medela hands free advanced. It wad almost $400. Then, less than a week after giving birth I had to rent a hospital grade pump, the Symphony, from babies r us for $80/month. I would not buy one yet if I were you.
Or, I can sell you mine;)
I felt the same way about the c section, just go on with an open mind. There's no way to predict your experience, it varies wildly.
My pain was mainly from the GAS, not the cut. I haven't had any problems with the insicion itself, just the normal soreness. You'll be just fine.
Medela Pump In Style Advanced all the way! Loved this thing. It will come with the accessories you need. Along with Medela bottles, Dr. Brown's bottles also attach well.
Can't wait to hear how moxibustian goes for you. I am just over 33 weeks and my little one is breech too - and I am measuring big. My midwife suggested moxibustian... so I am really curious.
I'm using the PISA as well. I like it. I don't get much with it, but I just don't get much at all.
Not odd that you're not scared of a C-section. I mean, I am, but I'm scared of surgery in general. But, as you say, to each their own, and we each have our comfort levels and things we're okay with, and the most important thing is to know what you're okay with. *g*
As for the hospital bag... lots of snacks, for both of you. Lots. Any kind of comfort things you might want - for me, it was a fan. Seriously. Tiny little POS fan, but it was a LIFE SAVER. It's my white noise/white distraction (i'm a physical person), and I was SO FREAKING HOT especially after giving birth, and nobody else was, so it was nice to have it to blow on me. I brought my laptop and some DVDs; I knew that the tv selection would be limited and get old quickly, and I was right. And when we finally got it figured out, I had internet, too. Other than that, I'm not sure. We were early, and not expecting to be in the hospital, so we didn't have much, and really, the only things that we needed that we had folks bring were the fan and FOOOOD. OH. Pillows. For Becky, at the very least. J had to sleep on this weird couch thing, and it wasn't too too bad, except that the hospital pillows were tiny thin things, like what they (used to) give you on airplanes, but wider. We brought one pillow for her, and I'm sure she would've loved 5 more. heh.
argh, it posted before I was ready. I wanted to say that I hope one of the attempts helps turn the baby, so you can choose whether you want a c-section or not. But she still has plenty of time to turn. Some gals in my group had babies that turned a week or two before they were born.
(and you don't sound like a wimp. I was positively MISERABLE, I know where you're coming from!)
I used medela and it was just fine for me (using it for my second baby now and still going strong). But definitely see if you can rent a medela from the hospital to see if it works for you for a couple of weeks. They will give you a sterilized sealed pack of accessories (tubing, breast shields, valves and small collection bottles) at the hospital to use with their scary industrial sized pump (looks like an old stock ticker) so you will have those to start. But a second set is good to have so you don't have to worry about only having one. They have accessory sets you can get. ALso buy the sterilizing bags which you can just throw the accessories (and pacis, bottles, etc) in the microwave for a quick clean.
My first guy had a huge head and was wedged in my pelvic bone so I opted for the c/s. Not one regret. Surgery was strange but for me it was far preferred to hours of labor and possibly having to have a c/s anyway. Just keep telling your anesthesist (i know I spelled that wrong) if you feel dizzy, nauseated, too anxious, etc. and s/he will shoot some drugs in your iv to fix it.
In my opinion, take all drugs offered the first 24 hrs. They will give you iv drugs (morphine usually) only for that first 24 hrs while your iv is still in. Plenty of time to go it on pills alone later. But make sure to ask them to put benadryl in the iv at the same time as the morphine so you don't start itching once it kicks in, which kinda negates the pain relief.
My incision was fine, and just keep pulling your knees up towards your chest slowly one at a time, and trying to fart to keep the gas from getting too bad. Your milage may vary, but it was not too bad.
I admire ladies who push out 11 lbs babies without meds, but it was not for me, and I do not regret it. I still had my healthy baby and wasn't too delirious with pain to enjoy the moment. My theory was: if something has to be ripped open and stitched, I would far rather it be my belly than my lady business.
Best of luck!!! Sorry for the long comment, but I felt like delurking to put in my two cents.
I am a horrible breastfeeder. I was on medication (donperidone...LIFESAVER) and with this last set I just rented a hospital grade pump. If your insurance will cover it. Go for it. If not...they are all about the same.
My suggestion and HOW I NEVER heard of it before I have NO idea. Was the handsfree bra. OMG I can't IMAGINE ever doing it any other way now.
Normally you sit in a chair holding both cups to your breasts. Depending on how often you do it you sometimes fall asleep. :) I did.
Any ways. It looks like a sports bra with holes where your boobs are. The two cups from the pump fit in to slots. It holds them tight and wha-la !
SERIOUSLY. GET THE BRA. Oh and don't worry about the expensive ones. I got the cheap 20.00 one because I didn't know if it would work or not. and it was JUST fine.
I think it's best if you are mentally prepared for anything. So it's great that you are fine with a c-section.
This will be short bc I have a sleeping feverish chunk on my other hand. You can fb me for more info if you want... LOVE my Medela Pump in Style Advanced, hospital grade double pump. Get multiple sets of flanges or you will always be washing/sterlizing. My c-section was a breeze after18 hours of labor & 3 hours pushing. Take meds to stay on top of pain. Kid #2 will be a scheduled c-section!
#$%? those people who grill you or treat you bad for your decisions. You do what is right for you! That is so disrespectful for others to say that.
You have a BEAUTIFUL belly!!!
1) I liked my medela pump in style. I had to pump a lot for work so it was worth it. It came with everything you need, unless you have big nipples/ boobs and need bigger "horns" which they gave me in the hospital.
2) Bring depends. I know this is funny, but my doula recommended this and I was so happy that she did. After a vaginal birth they give you this weird cheese cloth underwear and giant pads that don't stick too well to the cheese cloth and they are just uncomfortable....depends are way better.
I LOVED my epidural!
1) Like others I would recommend the Medela Symphony. I have rented mine ($75 a month or $300 for 5 months) and since it is hospital grade it has worked great. We are at 10 months and have been exclusively breast fed even though I went back to work shortly after I gave birth. My theory is I wanted to hospital grade and didn't really want to buy one because once I was done breast feeding I wouldn't need it.
2) I had c-sections with both my kids and they weren't too bad. I stayed on top of the pain with meds for the first week or so and then I was fine. Again, it's all I know so I can't compare, but for me it wasn't an issue. I was awake and there with both my kids so I don't feel like I missed any of their birth experience. I have both of them on film if you want to see what it looks like. :)
I think you have a really good attitude about it all. It is great to have a plan but there is no way to make sure what you want to happen actually ends up happening. If you go with "whatever as long as I end up with a healthy baby" attitude it is hard to be too disappointed. Good luck, you're doing great!
i used the mede.la hospital grade double electric pump also. i would recommend it especially if you plan on pumping at work. i was able to have 25 min pumping sessions including cleaning time.
i cant help with the c-section but i can say i wanted an epidural.
Hey there,
just wanted to say that my acupuncture guy said that acupuncture can help with baby position- so I'm just putting it out there. (I think moxibustion is part of that but not the only thing...)
I think the most important thing for you to do is what feels most comfortable to You-- there is so much pressure, so many strong opinions, but it only matters that you are doing what makes sense for you. So epidural? bring it on. Please do not let anyone make you feel 'less than', for any choice you make.
I think that is one of the suckiest parts of ttc, pregnancy, childbirth, child rearing-- other people who feel somehow that they know better than we do about our own bodies and lives.
Phew! sorry for the soapbox.
hope all goes well with your delivery however it may come about!
best wishes to you,
kate
Things they do not mention about c/sections. That you cannot pick up your baby, that holding your baby theday it is born will be very difficult. I had what I considered an easy time of the surgery but I had over-drugging twice to the point of requiring narcan twice. I had vomiting in post-op. I developed a pocket a week after giving birthrequiring a home nurse to change dressings every other day.
I had a ton of reasons I hated having the c/s but the hardest part was not being able to change his first diapers, not being able to carry him, hold him in my arms and walk with him. That crushed me. But some people that does not phase.
Both Steph & I had c-sections - it was much better than I thought it would be!! Take the meds they give you, make them wake you up to stay on your med schedule - you do not want to get behind, trust me!! Ask for extra mesh undies, I took extras home - those things were awesome! The icepack thing too was great on my healing incision. Get up and move around as soon as you are able - that helped me recover quickly. Bring a pillow for your stay and the ride home.
The actual section happens pretty quickly - it did feel like I had a heavy blanket on me and it kinda freaked me out about not being able to move my legs - just a weird experience. I had to ask one of the nurses to move my leg for me b/c my brain was convinced it was one way but my eyes could see it clearly wasn't. Weird, right??
I recommend the Ameda pump. It rates equal (or better than) the Medela but it is cheaper. I've never used a Medela but I love my Ameda because it has a very sensitive suction and cycle setting so I can tweak it just right to get the best let down! I got mine for 198.00 and it is BPA free.
Pack books. I thought whoever suggested it to me was nuts, but as I laid in the hospital bed between visitors, B LOVED hearing my voice as I read to him.
Posted a blog about my c section!~ xoxo
Post a Comment