Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's always something!

Thanks to everyone who shared their comments regarding our earlier autism scare. Sam had her 12 month appt yesterday, and her pedi feels confident that she is not autistic. I hope she's right! She did agree Sam should respond to her name by now, but isn't too worried. (Our pedi never worries about anything, which kinda bugs a paranoid mommy like me) :)

Our latest scare is now the size of Sam's head. She has always had a large head, but over the past 6 months it's jumping percentiles.
- At 6 months she was at 75th
- At 9 months she was at 90th
- At 12 months she was way off the charts!

Her pedi didnt even bring it up. I mentioned how we've noticed her head growing oddly in the back of her head. (Like the back half is bubbling out at the sides). Her pedi wasn't worried since it was all symmetrical. She gave me a referral to a helmet specialist, if I want peace of mind.

I got home, and I plotted Sam's 19" head circumference on her growth chart. It was way off the charts. Maybe her pedi didn't even notice this. Of course, being left to my own devices, I started g00gling, and found all sorts of sad stories on hydrocephalus.

It seems a number of moms (but not all!) whose toddlers had off the charts head growth ended up with bad diagnoses. Ugh. One more thing to worry about. I was fine with her big head, but now that I see it's growing disproportionately fast "hockey stick" - that has me concerned.

I left a message with our pedi demanding a referral to a neurologist. Let's just hope Sam has a big head and it will level off soon!

7 comments:

Schroedinger said...

Jeez, thanks for making me google hydrocephaly images. Um...no, they all have a really characteristic look that Sam definitely does not have in the photos you have posted. Good to go to a specialist to allay your concerns, but I personally know one kid about Sam's age who has a GIGANTIC head and is 100% fine.

Anonymous said...

Our son has a big ole head. He was right around the 50th percentile until he hit one and then it seemed like all of a sudden his head was in the 97th percentile! Since then it has gotten a little smaller (it was in the 92nd%) at his 15 month appointment. Hid pediatrician was pleased with it, said he's just got a big head and that his brain was developing well. Believe me, it's something I fretted about for a few minutes, but if you start to look around, there are lots and lots of toddlers with gigantic heads. It makes me think the charts for their ages are a little off (which is not unusual). Anyway, our big-headed son is really normal and healthy, and I bet Sam is too. Hope this helps!

K J and the kids said...

Big head just makes room for big brains.
I wouldn't worry...although as a first time mom no one can tell you that to give you peace of mind.
You can always hold off on the appointment and watch her to see if she slows down in development.
I don't think that you have anything to worry about. I've known some kids with some PRETTY DAMN big heads and they are just fine. I have cousins with way big and misshapen heads. Super smart. married with kids.
All of the hydro kids that I know had it at birth. I haven't known any kids to start showing signs at 1. (no, I'm not going to google it :)

Good luck. Keep us posted. and I'm VERY happy about the autistic news from your ped.

N said...

Just keep breathing, hon. Sam is perfect. Seriously. As KJ said, with hydro, it's usually there at birth.

One of the moms in my due date group had a similar thing happen, where her son's head grew much faster than the rest of him, and was off the charts, when he was still little. Her ped gave her a neuro consult to ease her mind, so hopefully yours will as well, but in the end, he was just fine, but with a big head. Hoping that's all it is. :)

Jen said...

Honey, we are moms who Should NOT google. I am sure she is fine and RG is right, a lot of toddlers have huge heads and their bodies catch up. Chunk's head is huge too (I even have to stretch the necks of his shirts) and he is perfect. Lots of love and stop googling!!! (didn't we talk about this when you were preggers!) ;)

cindyhoo2 said...

I take a different stance. Try not to worry but do what you are doing and see the neurologist. I am in the camp of "feel better after an expert says to relax" and if something is wrong (which is unlikely) it's better to know sooner rather than later. I say caution is good but then believe the good news when the neuro gives it.

CJ said...

I agree that you should TRY to remain calm, but seek out a second opinion and get her in to make SURE everything is ok. You just never know. Better to be safe than a miserable "What if" mess!