Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

12DPO - More of the Same. (Nothing)

I'm already spotting through the progesterone. All my AF symptoms are banging at the door.

All of my pregnancy-like symptoms disappeared 10DPO. No major headaches (just minor ones). Granted, I'm bloated and about 5lbs heavier - but that's progesterone. Other than that, I feel completely asymptomatic. I did get 5 zits on my chin, which isn't too common for me. Again, progesterone.

I'm prepared for Thursday's BFN. I'll take a surprise BFP, but I've got my expectations set. If it's a BFN, we're trying to take off for the weekend. Maybe Napa with the dog?

IVF News:
We attended yet another IVF seminar last night - Stanford IVF. A coworker did 3 unsuccessful rounds here, so I'm not as inclined to use them. They have nice doctors, and I like that they will accept anyone. They don't care if you're 41 and have had 10 unsuccessful IVF cycles. They aren't a private practice that cares about their statistics. Perhaps if we are unlucky in IVF, we may end up here.

We still have another IVF seminar next Monday, then 1-2 phone consults, and 1-2 financial consults. We're getting there! So far my personal top 2 clinics: Zouves Fertility Center & Nova IVF. The doc last night said a follicle over 22, but especially over 25 is too big. it would contain an egg that's "too ripe." I look back on my 4 IUIs since my surgery. 3 of the 4 I had follies of 25mm+, and my doctor insisted we go through with the expense of IUI. From now on, if I get supersized follie, I am self-canceling. Eff that stupid doctor, and every stupid doctor I've had that treats me like a robot.

Pop Question:
What are your thoughts on pre-implantation genetic testing? It would be nice to see ahead of time if some embryos have severe issues, and to see gender.....but it also leaves some potential ethical issues. If you see a blastocyst with Cystic Fibrosis, is it wrong to not use that one? Is it wrong to genetically screen and choose embryos? What happens when they find a gay gene, and now people can stop accepting gay children? It's a very big issue, and I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer. it's just a personal decision. having said that, I'm curious to get your thoughts. Discuss! :)

5 comments:

Lizzie said...

I haven't thought about testing ... curious to hear what others think. You are certainly being thorough with all your research! Seems like many, many choices in your area. I've got my fingers crossed for your Thursday BFP! xo

Anonymous said...

Testing wasn't really offered to us, so I haven't given it much thought. How much extra does it cost? Is there a specific genetic concern based on your or your donor's history? If not, I'd skip it...

I'm hoping you get that surprise bfp!!

bleu said...

We spoke about testing at my clinic but the general feeling of my amazing RE was this. We would see how many eggs I got but most likely we would be using all that fertilized and grew well so it was not so necessary. If I had 30 eggs maybe, or if I was trying to make sure a gene I carried wasn't passed on, or if gender was crucial but otherwise he found it not so necessary. He did say when someone have numerous negative IVF's (like over 4) and still has good egg numbers then he looks to it.

hth

cindyhoo2 said...

I am certainly impressed with how thoroughly you are looking at IVF clinics. Smart thing to do. As for PGD, I personally never had the option as we have put back every viable embryo I ever made to increase my odds (3,2 and 2). I suppose I would do PGD if I or my donor had a known inheritable serious medical concern. Otherwise I tend to be a "let the chips fall as they may" kind of woman. I can certainly understand the desire to have that done and could not condemn anyone for taking that route.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the suspected BFN. It's not over until it's over... but I know how you're feeling. You're definitely doing some excellent research on IVF and look forward to having you on the train soon. It's daunting and overwhelming at first but, like someone said to me, you ease in to it with the week of BCP and first set of daily injections (which are only one for the first little while).

I'm not planning on using PGD. I'm healthy and come from a long line of healthy people and, from what I can tell, so does the donor. I think it would depend on what I knew was swimming through my gene pool (or donor's gene pool).

I don't think it's "wrong" to not use an embryo because it may have a terminal/chronic health condition as a baby/child/adult. It's a choice of what you're willing to take on as a parent. For me, I would choose not to use those embryos and aim for the healthiest pregnancy and child I could get. But I'd have to do more research on what chance there is of the embryo carrying the gene actually exhibiting the disease/condition. I'm just not educated enough on that to say.