Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

This Space Intentionally Left Blank :)

It feels like a lot has happened since I last posted. I love bullet points, so maybe I'll do that.

* Went to our second adoption seminar. We loved this one, it really changed our minds. I finally got over my fear that all we'll get is a 13 year old ex-con who's in a gang, wears brass knuckles, steals the silverware and will set the house on fire. Now I see that we can get a semi-healthy newborn, and I know we'll love it as though it were a biological child. Of course, this comes with some fears about mothers taking their babies back after birth, etc... But I finally feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is bright, instead of dark.

* I've started taking my meds for MTHFR. I met with my obgyn, and she said I should be on two Folgards a day, so she wrote me an extra rx. She said she's never seen someone with both mutations, so she has no experience to base this on. She said the meds I'm on should lower the risks of m/c and deformities, but there will still be elevated risk. She seemed confident enough, whether it was sincere or faked, that it put my mind somewhat at ease.

* Work has hit the shitter. I'm working till 8pm, 10pm, etc. It's going to be a focking shitshow through the rest of the year. It's so bad that I've 2x now pushed my IVF cycle off. I finally had to settle on a cycle date, because otherwise I'll never do it. I'm worried my boss will ask me to reschedule my "vacation" - once it's time for transfer. I have no idea what the exact dates will be, which is stressing me out. They said retrieval could be 7/24 - 7/29, and transfer could be 7/28 - 8/4. How on earth can I put in my vaca on the team calendar? i won't know till days before which days I'll be out. I'm terribly stressed over this.

* I also have Natural Killer cells, so I will need a $700 infusion every 3 weeks through 1st trimester.

* I start Lupron on 7/5!

* This is costing me an arm and a leg. Here is the breakdown of out of pocket expenses. My fertility insurance is gone:
- $12,000 - IVF costs I pay my clinic
- $750 - misc appts not covered by IVF plan
- $1,500 custom blood tests not covered by insurance
- $1,000 a MONTH for Lovenox. I may take this all the way through pregnancy
- $800 - two vials of sperm
- $120 - Lupron
- $120/mo for Progesterone in oil
- $100 - misc antibiotic meds
- $3,000 - FSH meds
- $700/mo - blood infusion
=================

Cost if I end up with NEGATIVE HPT: $20,170

Cost if I end up carrying a pregnancy to term: $31,270

And folks, this is why I can only do this once. If it's a negative HPT, I am jumping off the wagon to move onto new alternatives.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cindyhoo2 said...

Oh my, no pressure on this cycle... right? I am impressed with your determination. Good things are on the way, I just know it!

Anonymous said...

there's so much going on for you right now!! I'm so sorry that work continues to be such an intense pressure. Like cindyhoo2, I know good things are in your future!

Thinking of you.

Jen said...

Holy crap those are crazy scary expenses!!!!!I wish I had some meds to give you to ease some of the $$ pain. I too am impressed with your mojo and I pray that this outcome will be a healthy, successful pregnancy and birth. You gals deserve a break!

Anonymous said...

ouch, thats some serious $$. have you discussed what to do with any extra embryos if you don't want to attempt a second try? would you freeze them, just in case? (feel free to ignore that question if it is too nosy).

the adoption seminar sounds great, i love that you are pursing both paths at the same time!

Susan said...

Hang in there -- I have a good feeling about your first try! :)

thebao said...

Good for you for just settling on doing it and moving forward, regardless of work's craziness. You have to live your life, right? I can see why not knowing exact retrieval and transfer dates is stressful. Good luck with that, as well as with everything else you have going on. You are rocking this out, and like the other commenters, I'm wicked impressed.

Heather said...

Oy. I really hope that the light is there at the end for you. You so deserve it. You two have been through way too much.

Anonymous said...

WHOA! that's a crazy amount of money.

i'm excited that you are researching the adoption route as well. we have 2 friends who were fostering infants since birth and in both cases parental rights have been terminated and they are adopting the baby. all adoption is risky - but even in foster to adopt there are stores like this. and even though our kids have their issues, they are healthy and weren't born addicted or anything. just remember whether it's a bio child or an adopted child, all kids have their issues.

dariasquirrel said...

Wow- the pressure...am sending you luck on this big jump...and am so glad you're taking it. As trite as it sounds, it does only take one magical meeting. Will be hoping for you with all of my heart that this is your special concoction that works!!! It's also really awesome that you have your foot halfway into the next plan, it's hard to do, but when my partner and I finally scheduled an appt to discuss retrieving her eggs to donate to me...that was the month I got pregnant. You just never freaking know. I had given up ALL hope. I'm glad you have a little light left and hope you can glean more from all of your fans out here who are pulling for you to find your way to mamahood. You WILL get there! The way/how is the big surprise, I guess. BEST OF LUCK!!!

N said...

(is there an e-mail where I can reach you? you can email me at twohotmamas at gmail.)