Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 22, 2009

18w6d - A peppering of stories :)

Tomorrow is 19 weeks! Lots of little tidbits to update you on. This is going to be a bullety-kinda post. :)

1. Felt Booger Move!
I felt the baby move today! I was literally sitting on the sofa, pouting over how small my belly is and how I haven't felt anything. It must have been the leftover spicy Korean food I'd just eaten. I felt a huge wave on my lower belly. I gently pressed my hand in that area, and the baby pushed back twice! It was so exciting, I let out a silent shriek of joy. :)

2. Bloody Nose
Massive bloody nose today - I guess that part of pregnancy is creeping in!

3. Headaches
Every day. Anyone else get these in the second tri?

4. Natural Killer Cells
Ok this is the one really crappy part of the week. My NK is still whopping high: 22. My IVF doc said to just stop all treatment. When I told the infusion lab this, the nurse screamed at me on the phone. "22 is VERY HIGH! You need to get treatment asap, or is this a major threat to the baby!" Since my IVF doc thinks intralipid isn't working for me, I now have to do the $4,200 (out of pocket!) Ivig treatment. I have my first one tomorrow morning. I can't effing believe this. $4,200 every few weeks....this will cost us potentially $24,000. We are debating how many we'll do, before we just leave things in God's hands, you know?

5. Stupid Mom Tricks
So I asked my mom to locate my birth certificate, and explained I am changing my last name to Becky's surname in January (when we officially register as DP!). My mom has been a total nutcase to me today, and it's getting on my nerves. She first wrote back "Why are YOU changing your name? Carrie P******* sounds so good. WHy can't you make Becky change her last name?" I calmly wrote her back and explained because I am fine changing my last name, and I have no emotional ties to it. It was my deadbeat, drug-addict, negligent father's last name. Why honor that? She continued to harrass me. "Cant you hyphenate your last names? You shouldn't give up P*******. Your work colleagues and acquaintances all know you by that name."

I know what's going on here. She doesn't see my relationship or commitment as similar to marriage. It creeps her out that I'm changing my last name. I finally wrote her back and bluntly said, "When people get married, they change their last names. I'm not going to hyphenate, either. When you and Kelly got married, you both changed your last names. Did you try to convince my sister to keep her maiden name? No. And to be honest, you've changed your last name 4 times, through all your marriages."

What's it to her? Really! BFD if my work colleagues have to get used to a new name change. Why is this any concern to my mother? She is just so weird and doesnt like any reminders that my relationship is just as good, worthy, and in many ways better than her marriage.

6. Vacation!
Tomorrow after my Ivig we leave for 1 week in SoCal. We will be family hopping, going to a cousin's wedding, but also taking time for ourselves. We have some nice days planned in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, LA, and Solvang. We can't wait!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

12 comments:

Melissa said...

I had a lot of headaches during the second tri. Given you can really take anything the one thing that helped me was cool packs on the neck. Hang in there!

K J and the kids said...

Just catching up. SO glad you updated and that you are doing ok.
Shit girl.
Had headaches. :( sorry. drink more ?? I think I was anemic.
Praying for a second opinion that might save you stress and money.
Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

wow, i cant believe you have to get such costly treatments! im hoping your number goes down and stays down so you can relax and get thru the last half of this pregnancy. good job for standing up to your mom about the name change. it does sound like she's not putting the value in your relationship status.

N said...

Ugh. Sorry your mom's giving you a hard time. If she keeps doing so, just know that you can get a copy of your birth certificate directly from the state.

Yep, the headaches were KILLER. Ugh.


I'm sorry the NK treatment isn't working for you. Will they test your levels after the Ivig treatments? If so, then you can see if they're helping (and, therefore, if they're worth continuing to shell out the $$...)

*hugs*

Inlocoparentis said...

Yep, I had a lot of headaches too. Tylenol sort of helped. My parents had a hard time when I decided to change my last name too, but they are starting to get used to the idea. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you felt Booger move! How exciting.

As to the ivig, I had no idea it was so expensive. Wow. Good for you for doing it, and I hope that it works quickly and your mind is put at ease.

Anonymous said...

I definitely had second trimester headaches every day for awhile. I used this neck pillow thing filled with rice or something that you can heat up in the micrwave. It really helped.

Sorry to hear about your mom's lack of understanding. So frustrating.

Heidi said...

This is exactly the reason I have not told my parents that I changed my last name almost two years ago.

xxoo

Unknown said...

yep, i got headaches in the second tri, and i NEVER get them...so i was a big baby about it. but, they didn't last long. maybe a few weeks tops. i also had a lot of nosebleed issues. that was no fun. they came randomly and LOTS o' blood! just had to work on a technique to make them end quickly...but they lasted all of the second and part of the third tri. then just vanished around 32 weeks. sorry about your mom and your name. jesus. she needs some perspective, so i'm glad you said the comments about your sister and her other marriages. WAY TO GO! helllOooooOo reality check!!! stacey and i changed our names when we did the DP thing and also for less complications with baby name, etc. we used half of her last name and it has been awesome. hope that things work out with those nasty cells you're battling. i'm so glad you felt the baby move, nothing like it is there? pretty soon you'll be WATCHING that baby move! buns poking up, feet rolling across your tummy, it's just incredible. happy thanksgiving to you and yours! ps- i had my baby last week! he's a dreamboat! (ok, so i'm probably slaphappy from not sleeping for days on end...) but my partner and i are very in love right now! with each other and our new little guy- satchel!

dariasquirrel said...

oh- that stacey lynn was actually me. didn't realize my partner was signed in...sorry!

Mina said...

I can't believe how much those treatments cost! Wow.

Props to you for standing up to your mother. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Exciting that you felt Booger move! Very cool!
I never got headaches, sorry.

Sorry your mother isn't being so supportive of your name change. We've kinda been through that ourselves. But I liked your response about she's changed her name 4 times.