Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 5, 2009

pissed

Pissed at my body. My IVF doc called with my Natural Killer cell results. They are now super red-alert "your baby is going to die" high. They freaked me out. They said I need to get an infusion tomorrow, and another one next week.
So off I go tomorrow to another useless infusion. My numbers never seem to go or stay low. They haven't been this high before, though.

My IVF doc said after my second infusion coming up, they may just have my OB monitor me more frequently. I said good luck with that, my OB doesnt monitor me more than once every 4-5 weeks. They said what? "We sent her that letter when we graduated her to you, saying because of IVF pregnancies you need to be monitored more."

My OB has classified me as a no risk pregnancy, despite clotting issues and IVF pregnancy. There is no way she's going to monitor me more. My IVF doc thinks I will need monitoring weekly - there's just NO way my OB will buy into that. To be honest, I don't know who is right or wrong. Is it really worth changing OBs if she wont monitor me weekly? Is that being ridiculous?

For those of you with IVF pregnancies, how often were you monitored in pregnancy?

Either way, I hate my body and I'm just sick of everything right now.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Challenging your doctors is your right, Carrie. Stay positive.

N said...

I wish I knew more about NK cells to give you some good advice on this. :-/ *hugs* I'd say, whatever your gut's going with, run with it.

jessie said...

I'm such a worrier so I would find a new ob to do the monitoring

Anonymous said...

If you current OB prefers that your insurance company only pays her for one monthly visit (vs a gotta-be-more-lucrative weekly schedule), she doesn't need your business. With the plethora worries you've been through during this TTC and pregnancy process, you could benefit from weekly reassurance, yes? Ask your RE to recommend a good high-risk OB or MFM and check them out.

Good luck with your next transfusion and counts. And I'm glad that you're getting ongoing care from your IVF doc in that regard.

S. said...

i only was monitored once. we were low risk and i went with midwives because i knew that was best for me. my re wasn't super-psyched but i was determined to enjoy a normal pregnancy after the ttc part was ruined. so it looks like we have the opposite problems - but still be an advocate for yourself.

Jen said...

I did not have extra monitoring until it was found that I had gestational diabetes.

Go with your gut! Switch! Not ridiculous at all. NOT AT ALL.

Laurie said...

Once we graduated from the fertility clinic, I was seen on the same schedule as a "regular" pregnancy... as far as I know, an IVF pregnancy is no different once you're pregnant.

With the other things going on... if your OB wont monitor you more closely and you feel it's important, I would shop around.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're not getting the care you deserve.

B. said...

If you want to act conservatively and follow your RE's advice, then you absolutely have the right to switch to a new OB who is willing to monitor you more closely. I haven't received any special or extra monitoring for having an IVF pregnancy. I've been offered some additional testing simply because I'm over 40, but IVF has never come up as a "risk."
More monitoring certainly can't hurt.

Pufferfish said...

Carrie, I'm so sorry that you are having to go through with this and then with the added insult of your OB not monitoring you closely enough. You have every right to demand a different doctor and I think you should. Your situation is unique, you do have special needs and you need a doctor who is receptive to your case.
I say find a high risk specialist.
Good luck babe. I'm thinking of you.

PS--IVF pregnancies in themselves are not deemed automatically high risk though.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie.. i have just discovered your post and i am so sorry about the difficulties with your medical doctors. I hope that you make the right decision for you and I think you can and should challenge your doctor and get one you respect who respects your voice and your bodys needs.