Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, June 30, 2008

All too familiar!

Have you guys seen this show? "30 Days" - by Morgan Spurlock. He puts someone in a really awkward situation for 30 days, to see if they change their views. Think: hunter living with vegans, or in this case....Mormon mother living with two gay parents.

Growing up in a Mormon household, I'm surrounded by people who think, talk, and act just like this woman. So absolutely closed minded, and unable to see things as they are. And of course, the "holier than thou" and "my God is better than your God," and "only *I* have the truth" attitude.

You have to watch this show. She spends 30 days watching the two kindest fathers, who've adopted foster childen whom NO ONE wanted. Their kids are confident, loved, and this lady couldn't see it. They also show this lady the living conditions of children in group homes (aka orphanages), and she cried at how unfair and awful it is. Yet when pressed, she said she'd rather have children live in those conditions, than to go to loving gay families. Wow.

But you know what.... my own mother said these things to me, and much worse things, too. I know Mormons, and there is nothing that will make them change their religious views. Not living with a nice gay couple for 30 days. They are so trained to believe what they are told. If the Mormon church, tomorrow, said gay parenting is ok....suddenly these same people would be praising it, saying how wonderful it is. So you see, in my opinion, they don't see things as they are....they can only live in a robotic state of mind, and repeat what they are told.

And how interesting, that the same religion who pioneered "alternative marriages," and proclaimed the sanctity of marriage was between one man and a woman, and another woman, and another woman, and another woman........ now turn around and judge others. Just 100 years ago they felt a child growing up with a dad and 14 moms was healthy?

4 comments:

giggleblue said...

yeah, i feel you. it's amazing how willingly people will stick out religious beliefs as justification for hatred.

so i'm completely there with you, and might i add, that even though my family isn't mormon, they still do the same shit!

Unknown said...

Dennis and Tom are two amazing men, and although I did not see the actual show, I have babysat for their children and if they cannot change someone's mind about gay parents, then no one can. Like you said, people who believe everything they are told, without question, cannot change their views.

Anonymous said...

Great post Carrie. I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!! It actually infuriates me.

Pufferfish said...

Oh yeah, I totally want to see this.
One of my best friends grew up Mormon and I feel for you.

My family is Southern Baptist and while they've come a long way in terms of acceptance (they've had 20 years to deal with it) there's always something.