Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 29, 2008

I'm a bad friend

So....I'm just going to be honest with you all. I'm a bad friend. I learned this over the past 48 hours.

At first, it was a half-joke to be "really upset" when I saw other pregnant women. Well, I've crossed that line. Now it does really upset me, and it's no longer the half-joke when I frown at seeing pregnant lady. I'm surrounded by pregnant bellies. It's like a new world order. Everyone must get pregnant, except for me.

Have you ever had that horrible feeling of "it's just never going to happen for me?" To my horror, I'm already feeling that way. Once you lose hope, it's a really unbearable feeling. I know, it's too early to lose hope. I'm sure I'll bounce back.

Officially, as of yesterday, ALL of my gay friends trying to have kids are now pregnant. Every single one of them, but me. Every. single. one. Not to mention almost all of my straight friends are now pregnant, too.

There is some odd solace in knowing you have at least one friend who is struggling with the same problem as you, whether it be being single, or TTC. We had one set of friends left, that had been TTC for 5 months. It's like an unofficial club forms, where you're both automatically members. "We are in the TTC club."

Well, we got a voicemail yesterday from that friend, saying "I'm 5 months pregnant!" We haven't seen her in 2 months, and she hadn't told us sooner because she was told she might lose the baby.

In one breath, I am so happy for her and her partner. In the other breath, I am verging on crying all day. I'm sad. Sad that they had the good luck we didn't have. Sad that today, our OTHER gay couple friend are helping her shop for maternity clothes. It's like this amazing rite of passage that we're trying so hard to reach, yet we still don't have an invitation.

This is what makes me a bad friend. I'm happy for her, sad for us. And in a small way, I wish she was still TTC, so that I'd have my "buddy." Now, I feel as though something is wrong with me. Everyone else has become pregnant, and they are all in a different world. that world you're in when you're pregnant. But we're not. We're still not invited.

A friend once told me, "Trying to get pregnant is like applying for the biggest job of your life. You go in, each month, spend 10 hours in interviews, and each time you get soundly rejected. And yet, you have to go back a few weeks later and apply all over again."

That's a good analogy. I offer another analogy. It's like planning a big, big party. Pulling out all the stops, you put tons of effort, time, and money into planning this big party. And each month, no one comes. So you take down all the decorations, eat the cake yourself, pour the punch down the sink.....and start planning the same damn party again next month. It gets harder and harder each month, when no one comes.

10 comments:

N said...

So. Much. Yes.

*sighs*

Stacey said...

:-( i dont know what will fix it other than being pregnant... dont withdraw and lose your friends, they will need you now like never before just as you need them. They will still undstand your pain, its not forgotten what you went through once you become pregnant... you still remember that pain as if it were yesterday... so they will be with you!

giggleblue said...

gosh, i'm so there.

please try to find happiness in the happiness with your friends. who knows, you may soon need them for a nanny or babysitter share.

meanwhile, try to rub as many pregnant bellies as possible! you have a lot of them available. i've heard it's good juju!

jessie said...

It's really fucking hard. And I don't think it makes you a bad friend.

Pufferfish said...

You are not a bad friend. These are natural, normal feelings that you are going through and you have every right to own these feelings right now. I validate you. And you do have friends that also aren't pregnant and right here with you. I know cyberbuddies aren't the same as friends IRL, but it's the best I can give you.

Lizzie said...

Yes. (No, you're not a bad friend. But yes, I get it.)

tbean said...

Could have written this post word for word.
I am shocked at just how much animosity I feel towards my pregnant and new mom friends. It is ugly but it is my truth.

You are not a bad friend. You are human.

One thing that (kinda sorta) helps is I try to take a very long-range view. In five years, ten years, fifteen years--true they seem "luckier" now and you feel like you are holding the shorter end of the stick...but life throws all kinds of curves. And they'll have hard times too and they'll need you--maybe a kid will be sick or a marriage or career will hit a rough patch. And you're own kids/marriage/career will look PERFECT to them from the outside. The tables turn all ways around in this and friendships with really important people are long. Certainly much longer than this ttc hell.

Anonymous said...

The TTC club is especially sad and frustrating that way. You want everyone to succeed, but you also don't want to get left behind.

Feeling sad or jealous or angry doesn't make you a bad friend. Clearly, your friends anticipated that you would need some space, and didn't tell you about the pregnancy for nearly four months.

I hope that you connect with other IRL TTCers to share the journey, and that you get to join a new club soon!

~Bree

j.k-c. said...

oh it can be so hard.
My personal favorite analogy is that it is like a game of solataire....sometimes you win and sometimes you don't, and then you just have to deal again. It reminds me that it is just about chance and has little to do with what is right or wrong about us.

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling, but you're not a bad friend anymore than I'm a bad sister for wishing I had gotten pregnant before she did. We all want this so bad that seeing others who have it makes us crazy. Having so little control over it all make it all the worse. Hang in there! One day, you'll be the pregnant woman someone is envying.