I had my first official IVF visit. As I was sitting there in the waiting room, clutching my massive packet of medical/blood test results, I became suddenly overwhelmed to the point of tears. Not sure why exactly, but perhaps because it feels as though everything is moving so fast. There is a lot riding on this IVF cycle: the weight of 14 months of TTC, the cost, the past and anticipated mental exhaustion, the physical exhaustion, and the certainty of extreme emotion at the end of this journey. A BFP or a BFN.
I had a CD2 check. Doctor said I have a higher reserve than average, for women my age (33). I had 8 follies on my right, 11 on my left. He could still see the large remnants of my cyst. He insists this won't interfere with IVF, but I can't help but be doubtful.
All pre-IVF testing is done, so I gave them my records. I did test positive for both mutations of MTHFR, which means I'm prone to blood clots during pregnancy, and can't absorb folic acid. This means I will be taking 2 extra pills, and a daily injection. they asked me to do one more blood test, which I'll do tomorrow.
Doctor feels very optimistic, but I'm burdened by a year of incredible failures. Massive cysts, early endometriosis, no response to injectables. I'm afraid to let myself be optimistic.
So what's next for IVF?
He had me do some immunology tests, waiting to get results back. So far, he thinks I will be doing the Long Lupron Protocol. That means it's another 8 weeks before retrieval.
I'm getting all the remaining items done: one more bloodtest, specimen acceptance form, and I'm having a cavity looked at. I think I have a filling that's chipped, so I better get that fixed before IVF!
We attended our first adoption seminar last night, and have another one this weekend.
Everything is certainly moving so fast, like a blur.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
IVF update
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Welcome to the MTHFR club, compound hetero branch. (heh. hetero. what? It's early.) It's not so bad, and really good information to have. I've been doing the extra vitamins, and baby aspirin, not sure what'll happen after my beta today. Meep.
This is really good and important info to have before your IVF. Sorry. I'm repeating myself. But I just wanted to say you're not alone. :)
This plan of attack sounds great. You're going to be preggo before labor day 2009!
I'm so excited for you, and I think I'm not too far behind you. Meeting with my doc today, and hoping he is ready to talk about IVF. Do you have any advice/any questions I should ask? jencas20009 at gmail dot com.
I can totally get how this is scary, but I hope you can take some comfort from the doctor's confidence. (Also excited that you are attending adoption seminars - for me, it has really helped me to calm down about everything to have that second option going, too.)
xo
ivf can definitely seem overwhelming when you try to absorb the whole process. my advice is to take it one step at a time, just focus on what you need to do *today* and don't think about tomorrow or next week.
i was on 3 days of bedrest for both of my ivf cycles and got bfps after each. i took the docs orders very seriously and only got out of bed to use the bathroom or switch from bed to couch. i figured after all the superstitious things i did during iuis (pineapple, etc), i wasnt going to take any chances with my ivf cycles. after all the time/money/etc invested, i wanted to give my embryos the best possible chance to snuggle in tight. plus, the bedrest is kinda nice :)
of course, every RE you talk to will have a different opinion. lots of women get bfps with no bed rest...do what feels right to you.
doh, sorry. i thought you asked about bedrest. i read your blog and puffer's at the same time, then came back to comment and got confused. ignore me!
It sounds like a lot!! But you're doing great, and it is excellent that you've got all of your ducks in a row.
I'm full of optimism for you. xoxo
Everything does sound really good and optimistic, but I totally understand why you'd feel overwhelmed with so much happening. It's a lot to take in and think about. I'm super excited for you, and I can't wait to hear how things go!
Yeah, I agree, IVF goes creep up so fast.. My recommendation is to just take it all in and handle one thing at a time. Being the IVF pros that we are, it can be a long journey but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Post a Comment