==Update: Man, I hope you guys are right. My RE had told me I'd only get one u/s with him at 6 weeks, 2 days, then they are releasing me. Crazy! I may ask him for another u/s at 8 weeks, just for sanity sake. I don't care if it costs me another $400!==
I called my OB's office to schedule my first appt. I have my first/last ultrasound with my IVF doc next week, when I will be 6 weeks, 2 days.
My OB called back and said I cannot come in until after 10 weeks. Are they MAD?
That means waiting an entire month between ultrasounds!!! There is no way I can wait that long. I thought most OB's see you around 8-9 weeks, right? Am I wrong? Do most not see you until 10 weeks?
I even told them I have a clotting disorder and high chance of twins. They didn't seem to care. I thought you get MORE, not less, appts with twins?
Friday, August 21, 2009
No, no, this won't work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



16 comments:
You probably won't be released from the RE's office until after your second ultrasound (at 8 weeks), maybe even later if it's twins. I would be surprised if they sent you on your merry way at a mere six weeks... mine didn't do that with a singleton and no clotting disorders.
Hopefully you'll have lots of ultrasounds to tide you over in the first tri. I had four, if you count the NT scan.
My RE didn't release me until he'd done 2 ultrasounds (and let me do a 3rd for sanity, b/c he knew I wouldn't get another until 12w, which would be a month in between)... and then when I was spotting, I called, panicked, and they let me come in AGAIN.
I bet you get at least one more with the RE.
But note also that I'm told by a lot of people that they don't get scanned at their first OB appointment. I don't know, since we're with midwives, so my 12w scan was with the peri for the n/t scan, but it seems to be about 60/40 on the boards, as to whether they get a scan or not. (60% not)
welcome to the world of OB care! :P id be surprised if you got an u/s at all during your 10week visit to the OB - most only do ONE the entire pregnancy (around 20 weeks) unless there are complications or a high-risk pregnancy.
its insane, and SO hard to get used to after having multiple ones with your RE. i definitely went through u/s withdrawal. i think pushing your RE for a 2nd one is a good idea.
I also had two done at my RE and one extra when I freaked out.
My OBGYN did heartbeats the first time and then I saw the midwife of the practice a few weeks (at 10 weeks) later who did an U/S. So I guess I'm a lucky one.
But it all changed when you are confirmed having twins, singletons you won't get as many scans.
I am suprised your OB won't see you until 10 weeks. I would insist on an appt at 8 weeks....um, if you really wanted to you could call back and change the due date so you could get in!
Or, you could change OB's if this may be a sign of things to come that you don't agree with if they indeed 'don't care'.
Good luck fighting yet another IF fight. Geez, does it ever end??
I just went over two months between u/s and it nearly killed me, but that is how OBs work. I too would be surprised if they released you before 8 weeks. I think that is pretty standard. I don't even know if I get another before Mr. Munchkin is born! It is madness but welcome to the club.
My RE does a 6 and 8 week u/s and then releases to the OB. The OB wouldn't even see me until 10 weeks. Sounds normal but I am surprised the RE doesn't want to do an 8 week u/s.
Yeah, so I must've had four or five u/s at the RE with my second pregnancy b/c I was freaking out so much since my first m/c. Just ask for what you want...if acting like a crazy paranoid bitch gets you what you want, go for it. By the time I was at 8 wks, I think those ppl thought I was nuts, but who cares? When I get pregnant again, I'm sure I'll be the same way, but that's fine with me. I know way too much about early indicators of m/c on ultrasounds that I analyze those things like a total whacko. I think miscarrying does that to you. And seeing the ultrasounds made me feel so much better. You've waited so long to get here, don't make yourself suffer any more.
I would definitely push back on your RE about the number of u/s they'll do for you.
I had a total of four at my RE's office after my BFP. They were at 5w3d, 6w3d, 7w4d and 8w4d. Their office doesn't release patients to their OB's until they have two consecutive u/s with visible heartbeats (the first of which we saw at the 6 week app't). The last u/s was really a "just 'cause" - I asked and they were fine with it.
As for getting to the OB - I didn't get an appointment w/ them until I was 12w5d. The month long wait was EXCRUCIATING, especially since we were used to weekly u/s, but we then had another one the next day for the NT test. Then we waited until 19w6d to do the "big" u/s (that was #7 if you're counting).
The last three were at 33w5d, 37w6d and 40w6d. These were primarily to do an estimated weight on her.
So, I had a total of 10 u/s during the course of the pregnancy, and I only had one and the only thing that made me "high risk" was that I'm considered advanced maternal age (which impacted nothing except being able to get more u/s. No complaints here.)
Again, Carrie, I would push back, especially given your clotting disorder. The only thing they can so is 'no'...and then you can tell them to 'f' off!
Hugs and good luck!!
My friend is carrying twins with no other "high risk" issues and gets an u/s every 2-3 weeks. They also have her seeing a perinatologist along with her regular OB.
dont know if it helps or its appropriate, but i will say it anyway, if you tell them you are spotting (even though you are not) they will give you an ultra sound.... So thats always a last resort and they cant prove you werent spotting... Know what i mean?
My RE did an u/s every week from 5 to 9 (so 5 total) and then my OB took me in at 10 weeks and did an u/s every 4 weeks and then every 2 when I hit 28 weeks (because of the twins). For singletons, she said they only do one 20 weeks scan unless there are complications. I think either way with your medical condition you can insist on having more regular u/s.
I do agree that the first 10 weeks is like watching paint dry on a humid day! SLOW AS HELL! I had one U/S at 7 weeks with RE to check for a heartbeat. Then I saw my OB at 10 weeks. It's a crazy wait, but you can do it! Keep believing and taking good care of yourself! Treat each day as though you have a little embryo who needs your healthy food, fresh blood, and exercise! Hang in there, Girl
I only got one u/s, at six weeks exactly, before I was released to my OB. My next u/s was at 10 weeks, and the waiting was horrible. Of course, I didn't have the clotting disorder or twins, so hopefully they will readjust the schedule for you. Sorry I missed the great beta - we were on vacation. Congrats!
I only had two ultrasounds the entire pregnancy. One at 11 weeks and one at 20 weeks. I was ok with that because I heard (may or may not be true but who knows?) that they have linked ultrasounds to autism. Now while I don't know the actual truth of that I figured I had to let go and let my body do what it was going to do because if I was going to miscarry it's not like there was anything we could do about it anyway. And here we are with a healthy little girl! You'll be fine!
I was high risk, had an u/s at 6 weeks 2 days and that was it until my anatamy scan at 20 weeks. I went 8 weeks in between appointments. I borrowed a doppler from my friend or I would have gone insane.
I would push to not have your RE 'release' you until closer to 10 weeks. Good luck!
I had one ultrasound at 6 weeks and then a second done at 9 weeks with the RE (I guess I'm considered "high risk" due to being 37...but not sure if that affected the protocol for our clinic.) After that they released me and I didn't have another u/s until I had some severe cervix pain and called my general western med doc, who sent me to the ER thinking i was miscarrying. baby was fine, got a great u/s while we were there for 12 hours. after that we shopped for midwives and found our special person. (we're doing home birth.) we went to have one more ultrasound at 19 weeks to find out what the little mover and shaker's sex was- a HE! unless we have unforeseen problems, we'll probably avoid more u/s. push for what you feel like you need, though. you are the mama! you have the intuition! so happy that the baby/babies are thriving! just thrilled for you!
Post a Comment