Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 13, 2009

OHSS?

Ok, when I say I am bloated, I mean bloated and looking like I'm 6 months pregnant. It's getting worse by the hour, I think I'll call my IVF doc tomorrow.

A little worried this could be OHSS? Every muscle in my abdomen, from the rib cage down feels so sore/tight. My belly is totally taught, as though I did 1,000 situps. The huge belly is really causing discomfort. It feels like someone pumped 10 pounds of water into my abdomen, and it's stretching my muscles/skin to the max.

Has anyone experienced OHSS, does this sound familiar? Eeeks, I hope everything is ok. Man, whether you are TTC or pregnant, you NEVER STOP DEALING WITH STUFF! Just trading one worry for another, I suppose!

7 comments:

N said...

I have not had OHSS, and the fact that it's getting worse is definitely worrying to me, and I'm glad you'll be calling your doctor.


FWIW, both times I got pregnant, I was horribly bloated right away, couldn't fit into pants, couldn't bend over, etc etc etc. It was really uncomfortable and often painful, and yes, I looked even more pregnant than I do now at 14 weeks.

All of which is to say that SOME bloat is totally normal, but please be careful.

Laurie said...

I've had OHSS twice... but both times it appeared after retrieval and before transfer. It would subside after transfer and was expected to get worse if I got pregnant and my HCG levels rose.

I don't remember it feeling the way you describe. I remember being in a LOT of pain with intense nausea and vomiting. I wasn't able to walk, sit or lay without incredible pain.

I would definitely check in with your doc... and perhaps start a veyr low sodium diet asap just for good measure.

Jen said...

OK--I am the queen of OHSS and the worst case scenerio, so tread carefully...call your doctor today and tell them what is going on. They can schedule a sonogram to look at the size of your ovaries and any cysts, follicles, etc that may be remaining in your system from the fertility drugs. It is better to be safe than sorry. Please be careful. Drink gaterade...the electrolites help to balance out the liquid and sodium in your system. If you have any questions, or need anything, email.

dariasquirrel said...

glad you're calling your doc- i totally think you're doing the right thing! pregnancy brings with it a lot of weird side effects and symptoms at times (especially after the drugs!), but it's important to trust your instincts on what crosses the line between "this feels funny and not so comfortable" and "this does not feel right". i sure hope you get in soon and that you can report back that it's something like bad trapped gas and nothing more!

Two Moms, Two Monkeys said...

Never had OHSS so I'm not sure what the symptoms are. Hopefully you have called your doctor by now and are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

You pretty much summed it up, you are just trading one worry for another.

I experienced a lot of bloat too while pg but yours sounds much worse. Might as well check it out - better to be safe than sorry.

Hope it gets better soon!

The Amily Diaries said...

I am with everyone else, you bloat a lot in the beginning but not as much as you are talking about. Don't worry about your increasing appetite, better than not having one :]
Dealing with hormones is a pretty constant thing throughout pregnancy and post partum. I think Emily is able to deal with all the hormonal stuff better when i talk to her about what I am feeling, even when it is trivial.
Hang in there, even though the worries never stop it is all worth the fight.