Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Stupid NK

So I was so excited to get my NK results back...since 2 weeks ago I did my first Ivig treatment. I paid $2,000 out of pocket. I've done 5 intralipids, and they never once lowered my NK. It always hovers between 19-27 (aka REALLY EFFING HIGH).

They told me to do Ivig, which is $2,000 - $4,000 a pop. I did it, and called up, eager to get my lowered NK results.

NK went up. It went from 22 to 25. Everyone is scratching their heads. They rarely ever see someone who doesn't respond to either treatment. They said it's so high, but that continuing treatment is still very beneficial even if it doesn't lower my NK. Is it a bunch of baloney to get me to spend $4k-$8k a month out of pocket? maybe. I don't know what to believe.

I go back this Thursday for a $4,000 double dose. I meet with one of their doctors next week. I'm going to flat out tell the doctor the following:

1. Am I really ok, despite the elevated NK? Baby so far measures perfect. No treatments have lowered my NK, and yet everything is fine thus far.
2. I cannot continue Ivig treatments - they cost more than 2x my monthly income.
3. If I continue treatments, it has to be intralipids. Since both treatments show the same results, why pay $8k a month, when I can pay $1k!!

I am just still so upset today that the last-chance treatment didn't do a damn thing. I am a freak of nature.

1 comment:

Pufferfish said...

OMG, how frustrating for you to have to go through, pay the outrageous amount of money and then still have the level go up. I think your questions for your doctor are spot on. Good Luck.