Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Another one bites the dust

Well - if you can believe it, my family has now had a second death in the last 7 days. As you my recall, my aunt passed unexpectedly last Sunday. My grandma has now passed away 2 days ago. What's remarkable, is that my grandma's health nosedived after my aunt died, and grams left the earth exactly one week later. Almost to the minute.

I'm so fortunate to have been at my grandma's side. I've spent the past few days at her house, and the day she died I'd been holding her hand since 7am. The family is grateful she passed, as she's been in considerable pain the past few years. And now we know she, and my aunt, have a buddy up there.

One funny thing.... my grandma and I were very close. Every time I'd see her, she'd always usher me into the back room before she left. She'd slip me a $20 bill. Normally I wouldn't accept money from an old lady, but it made her happy to do that, so I would accept it. She did this every time I saw her, seriously. The past 2 years she's been too sick to do anything.

Yesterday I spent 10 hours going through her things, helping with funeral arrangements...and very randomly came upon her purse. It was kind of hidden. My mom and I looked at the contents, and put them back. After my mom left, for some ODD reason, I was urged to pull her scarf out once more to see it. As I pulled it out, a perfectly folded $20 bill appeared. My grandma wanted to slip me that last $20 bill. I took the $20, but will never spend it. I'll put it in a special place where I can remember her generosity. :)

13 comments:

Heidi said...

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your Grandmother. I admire your attitude!

(I love the story of the $20.00 bill!!)

Holly said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. You family has had a rough week.

She sounds like a neat lady - love the $20. That's just fate.

N said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grams, but I do love little messages like that. *hugs*

tbean said...

So sorry.

Anonymous said...

There are no words. What a touching story.

If you can believe it, just yesterday I was going through old diaries. I found a letter in its envelope taped to a page. I opened the letter and a $20 bill popped out. The letter was the last one my poppy sent me.... I remembered then that I swore I'd never spend it.

Hugs to you and your family.

Lizzie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. And so touched by your story of the $20. I still have the last book my grandmother sent to me, and I'll never read it. That way I will always have one more book recommendation from my special grandmother. Thinking of your family, at a time of such loss.

jessie said...

oh i am so sorry.

j.k-c. said...

So sorry for your loss. My Grammy was also big on handing out $20 bills folded up in a little square. And she would get downright pissed and offended if you tried to refuse it. :) I'm glad your Gram gave you that last $20. So special.

Jen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss but glad your grandma is no longer in pain. The $20 story made me cry. Very touching.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. What a wonderful story about her.

evangeline said...

i'm so sorry. you hang in there.
my grandma does the same thing when i visit, she slips me a 10 or a 20. it's so cute - so i was really touched by that story and am so glad you have that 20 to hold onto.

xoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. It has, indeed, been a rough week for your family. Your story about the $20 is just perfect, and I think it's beautiful that you will always hang on to it.

Many hugs to you.

word to your mother(s) said...

I am so sorry for the passing of your beloved Grandmother. That was a very touching post to honor her memory.