Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mormons at my door - again! This time, it's personal


Son of a bitch, they did it again. Only this time, it was deliberate. Hear me out, I really need to vent on this one...

Ten days ago, I sent in my formal resignation from the Mormon Church. I cited Prop 8 as my reason. I've read all the "Leaving the Mormon Church" websites, so I sent in the most perfect, undisputable letter. The websites warn that sometimes, in rare cases, they get so desperate and mean - they send a Bishop to your house to prevent you from leaving. Well, guess what happened tonight.

I got home from work, and to my rejoice, I got my letter from Member Records. It says they received my request, and forwarded it to the local Bishop in my town. It said I would hear from the Bishop about my request. I assumed that meant, once it was fulfilled.

You will love this part. I was on my sofa at 7:30pm, watching "Paranormal State" - and it was about a real girl who was possessed. RIGHT at the part where they were doing the exorcism on her, I heard a loud banging on my door. I sensed evil. I thought, maybe it's kids selling candy bars, but I had a feeling they were Mormons. They knocked again, even louder.

I opened the door just a crack, and here is the conversation that ensued:

[Bishop and his cronie] "Hello, Carrie? I'm Bishop So-and-So with the Mormon Church in San Jose. We wanted to stop by, because it looks like you just got added to our church's membership today." (A clear lie! The only way they got my name/address was in my resignation letter! Fuckers.)

[Me]"Umm no, I am formally resigning my membership from the church. I sent a letter to Member Records."
[Them]"Hmmm, are you a new member?"
[Me]"No, I grew up in the church, but haven't gone in a long time. I am now wanting my name formally removed from records."
[Them]"Oh, now you dont need to leave just because you're inactive."
[Me]"No, I would like to leave."
[Them]"How about we send some home teachers over?"
[Me]"No"
[Them]"How about we send you some written materials that you can review? We'd like to keep you in the church. How about we just send those home teachers over?"
[Me]"No, I am not wanting any contact. My letter from Member Records stated the only contact I would receive is from the Bishop, and it would be the final confirmation this has been processed."

So they hemmed and hawed a bit more, and kept trying to play dumb. I was so appalled that they actually came to my house, unannounced! And to think I was so stupid, to believe they hadn't gotten my name/address from my resignation request. NO one just magically appears on a membership role there - you must be baptized, and there's paperwork.

they are so full of lies. I tried to be cordial. They agreed to see what they could do, and that they may be in contact if they need something.

Those fockers! Apparently I have one of those bad wards in my town, where they make it especially hard to leave. I better not get any more unannounced visits. I have a horrible feeling they will continue to play dumb, and not process my request.

I guess I will need to call Member Records again in a month, to see if it has been processed.

THIS CHURCH IS LIKE A CULT!!!!!!!! they make it so easy to join, and impossible to leave. I've already received warning that there are "eternal consequences" of my desired actions. The church kindly wrote me that in their letter.

They need to stay the eff away from my house.

16 comments:

N said...

Ugh. I hope they don't make it too hard. I'm so sorry. :(

Heidi said...

technically, you can sue them.

When I sent in my resignation letter they were already trying to excommunicate me, so they just let me resign instead of hounding me at my door.

I'm so sorry that they are hounding you. They suck.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's scary!

Anonymous said...

That is just creepy. Stand your ground!

Jen said...

Whoa. agree wth queerstork...creepy, super creepy. It seems like harassment to me, maybe you should contact local police and let them know what is going on. Better safe than sorry. I hope you don't see them again.

Anonymous said...

wow, total cult, that is CRAZY! i totally agree about calling the cops and filing a complaint. did the guy at your door know that you are gay? it seems like that would have been a sure fire way out!

evangeline said...

creep-o-rama!

Lizzie said...

That is super freaky. I am so sorry. Big hugs.

Anonymous said...

That's weird. And sad. And scary.

suburban dyke said...

Let’s fight back on Proposition 8. Let’s boycott California wines, produce and travel. Let’s publicize it. Let’s embarrass them. It worked a few years ago in Colorado. What do say?

CD and SP said...

wow, that is nuts..i'm sorry and hope this is over soon!

Anonymous said...

That is just scary. I hope that someday soon you're able to separate from them officially.

Anonymous said...

fockers indeed! the nerve of those people! so sorry you had to deal with that crap...but good for you for standing up for yourself. hope they leave you alone now!

xo

Anonymous said...

C-
I was born and raised in cultland and while I have never been LDS I have friends who were and have left. These friends were harassed almost daily in the same way you were. They eventually had to fight fire with fire by blitzing the bishop and record services with letters and calls. They were also forced to become aggresive when people repeatedly came to the door. It helped to have their partners at the door with them. Unfortunatly you may have to abandon respectful and decent interactions to win the right to be left alone.
Sorry this is so difficult and good luck.

Anonymous said...

A bishop at the door? Eeeek!
Well thanks for going through the trouble. Maybe they'll start to get the picture if enough people leave the church rolls.

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

Dang. I thought the Catholic church was scary.