Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Uhhh yeah. Well this sucks.

So we decided to do this last IUI, then do IVF.

I got my financial packet today from the IVF clinic we want to use. They have the best results. Now when I see the financial packages available, I get screwed in all of them.

You can only bill insurance for his basic $8,500 1-try IVF. $8,500, does not include cryopreservation, anesthesia, etc.

I wanted the 2-cycle plan for $12,500 or the $15,000 shared-risk plan. Well guess what? there are clear instructions on his form that you CANNOT bill insurance. if they find out you billed your insurance, they void the entire contract and kick you out of the program.

So this means - I can't even use my fertility benefits for IVF! We may as well keep doing useless IUIs. I can't believe this. Also, for the optional plans, they conveniently exclude his $3,000 embryo transfer fee. So that's $3000, plus anesthesia.

I'm suddenly feeling at a loss. We don't have money for any of this, if we can't use fertility benefits. All I can use benefits for is the 1-cycle plan, but that's putting a lot of eggs in one basket. Versus doing 2-3 more medicated IUI cycles.

FUCK. This changes everything. Why won't this fucker let me use my fertility benefits for the shared-risk or two-cycle plan? there is no way we could self-pay.

8 comments:

cindyhoo2 said...

Insurance is such an utter nightmare... gotta have it but can never use it the way you need to. Sorry for all the frustration. I hope this thing gets easier soon.

Anonymous said...

damn, that really sucks. i hate insurance companies. hate, hate, hate them.

i've got crazy credit card debit because of my lacking fertility coverage - it's really maddening that they can exclude or cap fertility treatments.

Jen said...

That sounds totally messed up! I can't believe he (doc) has important add-ons like it is freakin value meal. WTF!?!? Knocking a person out during this is pretty important! I would stick with the IUIs for as long as you can since you have the coverage and it would go to waste. But, you have a tough decision ahead of you. Have a cocktail.

Pufferfish said...

Carrie, I went through the same thing. I'm sorry it's such a nightmare.
You have a certain amount of money and have to figure out what is most advantageous to spend it on.
You can spend that money on one IVF, right? I know you'll have to spend some money out of pocket for the costs not covered, but it would still cover most of the IVF procedure.

What I found is that most insurance policies do NOT cover the anesthesia believe it or not.
I do think going the route of IVF will give you better odds (probably about 50%) for the insurance money than IUI's at this point. Just my opinion from my experience.

What about the meds? Do you have separate coverage for that? Are they covered?

cady said...

that's such crap. i've never heard of a clinic NOT letting you bill your insurance company. usually it's the insurance company not wanting to pay. do you have an infertility max with your insurance coverage? if not, you could keep doing the 1-cycle plan.

dariasquirrel said...

it really really sucks when you are already stressed out and then a doctor has these almost hidden seeming charges and fees and payment plans that will not allow use of your benefits. that seems bizarre to me, i mean, isn't insurance moolah the same as your moolah? honestly, i would put the eggs in one basket (excuse the pun) and go for the one IVF and use your coverage. your chances are so much higher. good luck making a decision. know that you have lots of support from the great cyber beyond.

Anonymous said...

Terrible. Useless. I hate insurance. I'm sorry.

Heather said...

Ugh, this totally does suck..