Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Less movement, is this normal?

So baby was ACTIVE on Friday - kicking and moving 10x every few hours. On SAturday morning I got a prenatal massage, which was nice, but for some reason baby stopped moving afterwards(??)

Heartbeat is fine - still ranging from 130-136. But it's been a day and a half, and I've maybe felt a total of 4-5 kicks (versus the normal 30 a day). I've tried OJ, soda, laying down, jiggling my belly, etc.... I've tried every trick I know, the ones that always work.

What do you think is causing it? Was I just spoiled last week, with baby moving all the time? I'm not wanting to be paranoid, here. Did any of you experience days (in mid pregnancy) where the baby didn't move much, or at all?

For all I know, tomorrow she will be back to her kickboxing in my belly. I miss her little movements. :(

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i did have a day like that. all the movement came back the next day. if you have the fetal monitor to check heartrate then i am sure everything is okay. maybe she is just sleeping more :]

N said...

When I was where you were - for much longer, actually, than a lot of people due around me, which was scary to me - what would happen was I'd have a period of a TON of movement (a day, a few days, once was a full week), followed by another period (a day, a few days, a week) of little to no period.

And grant you, I had a hard time feeling her to START with. So it really really really freaked me out.

But I figured - and was reassured - that after so much movement, the baby was resting up. And often there's less movement when there's a growth spurt, which they go through now and then. But I just kept using the doppler to reassure myself, and it helped, some.

And now, I still don't feel her much, but it's much more regular, and that's so much more reassuring. Meanwhile, just try to remember that there's a reason that most doctors who ask for kick counts (which many don't!) don't do it until 28-30 weeks, if not later. Until then, everything is just SO sporadic. *hugs*

jessie said...

I"m telling you, baby movement is awesome and stressful at the same time. I had many days like that. Holland didn't really start moving a ton until 30 weeks. And I think they go through growth spurts where they require more sleep? See how things go tomorrow and if you're still worried I'd call.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was normal around 22 weeks. I felt my first definitive baby movement at 18 weeks, but it was pretty inconsitent for more than a month. Sometimes lots, sometimes almost none. For days on end. Since I don't Dopple (bad experience with it during M's pregnancy), I got nervous without those reassuring kicks.

You're right, though... tomorrow (or the next day) she'll be back to kicking up a storm. Perhaps you'll even find yourself with the reverse worry, which I sometimes have... when he really gets going in there, I wonder if he's going to harm himself in some manner. (And wonder if he's going to turn out like the Mike Myers character, the Hyperactive Hypoglycemic, who was always chained to the playset.)

All is well, and I'll look forward to reading a relieved "All Clear" from you shortly.

K J and the kids said...

Totally normal. I'm sure she probably just moved to a different position. And I believe that when they go through growth spurts...just like babies who have already been born...they sleep a lot.
She's just growing.

sandra said...

Totally normal... and un-nerving. I remember days like that - especially around 20-24 weeks with my first baby and now with baby#2. This is a time where they are falling into more regular sleep patterns.

Inlocoparentis said...

Movement comes and goes. My doctor has said this could be anything - change in position (you can't feel it as much), baby sleeping more, etc. Nothing to worry about. They won't even start kick counts until 32 weeks for this reason - too unpredictable.