Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

34 weeks - umm, my baby is huge

Today was our 34 week OB appointment. I TOTALLY came in thinking I'd lost weight since two weeks ago. My stomach is so squished, and I eat like a bird. 3 bites, and I'm full. PLus I don't eat GREAT, but I don't eat bad. I eat sandwiches, eggs, cottage cheese, soup, and yes the occasional slice of pizza. I feel like I'm eating 1,000 cal a day lately, and it's all I can manage.

So you'll imagine my surprise when the scanner said my 34 week baby is 6lb 10oz. I said that's impossible, she couldn't gain 2lbs in 2 weeks. He redid the measurements like 3x, and finally ended up with 6lb 4oz.

That is f*cking huge! Several of my friends/family have had babies recently, all weighing that amount. I'm basically carrying a baby the size of their full-term babies. I, myself, was only 6lb 2oz when I was born.

Even worse, I've personally gained 4lbs in 2 weeks! Despite eating like a bird. I got a lecture on how overeating and eating bad foods can be contributing to my baby's weight gain in the 3rd tri. I was just dumbfounded....I'm eating good, too little, in fact.

So this baby is on track to be nearly 11 pounds. God help me. I was a bit depressed after the appt, feeling ashamed of my eating/not working out...to have caused this ginormous baby.

Aside from that disappointment, my BP is normal, no protein in my urine, all looks good. No more ultrasounds for us, booooo!

I am praying this baby comes early at 37-38 weeks, once she's full term. Anything I can do to jumpstart labor at that time? :)

8 comments:

Jen said...

They are not always accurate measuring baby in utero. I've had friends who were told a whole pound off. I was told at my 20 wk scan that my daughter had Single Umbilical Artery which could mean all sorts of genetic issues, kidney and heart problems, failure to thrive so they may have to deliver early. I was delighted to hear how big she was measuring at each checkup. She was 7 pounds at birth, delivered at 37 weeks. No failure to thrive there.

jessie said...

Ultrasounds can be way off in measurements. My friend was pushed into a csection because she was told the baby was measuring over 9 pounds. He was 7.5 pounds!

When you hit 36 weeks start taking evening primrose oil and bounce ona yoga ball!

Dani Magestro said...

Yup U/S can be wrong wrong wrong, mine said she was an 11 pounder and she was 7 lbs 14 oz......

Jen said...

Too funny! I am the girl who had almost an 8 lb baby at 36 weeks, so I am of no help. We were also hoping that C would be early and in fact, he was a little too early! Nature will take care of you.

Anonymous said...

Don't let them stress you out on the weight thing - your body and your baby know what they are doing better than any stupid weight chart - just trust yourself a little - you KNOW you are eating good. Cutting back on food when pregnant can cause ongoing issues for your kid and their kids -http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article5029679.ece

Ashlee said...

As some have already said the ultrasounds aren't always accurate. I was a week overdue and my baby was 11 pounds. So I totally know how you feel right now!BUT he slept through the night at 3 weeks and my doctor says bigger babies get sick less, have a reduced risk of SIDS, and are generally happier. So far all of this is true.

Anonymous said...

Don't stress about the estimated weight of the baby via ultrasound. They thought Owen would be 9 1/2 pounds..he was 8 lb. 2 oz.

Heather said...

Working in the post partum unit in the hospital... I can tell you this.. Those ultrasounds can be totally wrong! They say they can be wrong 1lb +/- but really more like 2-3lbs.

Your little baby in there is thriving just fine, and will be just fine. I wouldnt worry about weight until the baby is out and they know for sure. =)