Two very exciting things are happening next week. No wait, three things! We are taking a 1.5 week vacation. We are going to Boston, which is where we met and lived for a while. And three, we are going to a RED SOX game! Someone put on the Dropkick Murphys!
Maybe now's a good time for a little lovey dovey background. Becky grew up in Minnesota, where they have weird human hamster tunnels downtown, so you never have to walk outside. I grew up in a super liberal San Francisco Bay Area, yet managed to live in a mega-conservative Mormon household. Becky went to University of Vermont, I went to University of Oregon. Becky moved to Boston 9 years ago. I moved to Boston 5 years ago. We met through a friend. A drunk friend. At a gay bar called Club Cafe, there with her soccer teammates. Becky was seeing someone, and 3 months later my drunk friend found out Becky was single, and set us up on a semi-blind date.
First date I remember well. We met at Big City to play pool. (Next to Sunset Grill, one of my fave Allston joints) I shook Becky's hand when I saw her, because I was nervous. To this day, she gives me shit for shaking her hand like a business meeting. That was September 2003, and we've been in love ever since that first interview (she calls it).
She taught me to laugh, to love, to drink coffee. She taught me that Korean food is weird, but good. She taught me how to properly shovel my car out after a storm. (Do the bare minimum, versus my style of anal retentively shoveling all the way down to the street gravel, and 2 feet on all sides of my car) She, and all Boston drivers, taught me how to use my car horn.
We left Boston in 2005, and came back to my hometown. Becky has always wanted to live here, and it took some convincing, but I agreed to come back to the Bay Area. All of our best friends are still in Boston, and we miss them dearly. We also miss our favorite haunts. And the Red Sox. And Patriots. And beer. Not so much the winter, though.
We leave next Wednesday, and will spend a few days in upstate NY for a wedding, then come back. Now! For my list of MUST DOs. Those of you in Boston feel free to send recommendations:
1) Drink Dunkin Donuts every day, pregnant or not. Sorry kid.
2) Steal a wad of Dunkin Donuts napkins. I cant help it, they are like security blankets.
3) Red Bones. the ultimate carnivorous experience.
4) Sunset Grill and Tap (mmmm, ribs. if i get a BFN, im drinking all 99 beers on tap)
5) Cuchi Cuchi (for drinks, if Im not preggo)
6) Red Sox game, plus Yawkey Way
7) Freedom Trail, because I'm now officially a tourist. And I love old cemeteries in the middle of a big city. eff yeah.
8) North End pizza. Pizzeria Regina, if we have 5 hours to wait in line.
9) Mike's Pastry Shop. I dont even like pastries, I just like their takeout boxes.
10) Concord & Lexington
11) Cambridge Common. best. salad. ever.
12) Cafe Kiraz. Best. frozen yogurt. ever. (if im not preggers)
13) Club Cafe or Toast. Gotta get my gay on.
14) John Harvard's Beer
15) Finale - orgasmic desserts
Anything I missed? How am I gonna squeeze this into a week?????
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Boston, Here We Come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Drink some Dunkin Donuts for me. I spent 4 years in W. MA but am back "home" in Utah. Also missing MA friends, the coffee, and the politics - but not the winters.
Toast no longer there ... sorry. I'm big on Dunkin Donuts iced tea right now. Try it!
If you are into Contemp Art the new ICA is amazing.
hmmmmm...I'll think of more before Wed., it's early.
If you are out having a beer one night cal me! I's love to meet you both!
I hate to quibble with your list, but Angora Cafe near BC has AWESOME fro you. You can mix in anything. It's been 10 years since I lived there and I still dream about it. Have an awesome trip, Finale is great.
http://www.angoracafe.com/
1. Eat Upper Crust Pizza
2. Have JP Licks ice cream
3. wander around the garden and common
4. hang out in Harvard square
5. ride the red line over the Charles river
6. duck tours are fun. seriously.
7. Fenway also offers tours of the stadium for 10 bucks. And they take you on the monster and on the field. Seriously.
8. bum around the South End
9. admire the beautiful brownstones in Beacon Hill and pretend you own one
10. see an arty movie at Kendall
okay, I need to stop now. I'm just getting homesick!!
Sounds like you have a fun trip planned! Funny, my partner and I met in a gay bar through the help of a drunk friend and she was with someone else...but one week later she was not!
Actually, I don't think there's anything unique about that in the lesbian world now that I think about it....
Wait...there's no DD in the Bay Area?????
HUH?!
Post a Comment