Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Question for you...

I made it through a weekend with family! More on that later....

The good news is, we did IUI#2 yesterday morning at 10am. Becky gave me the Ovidrel shot 36 hours prior, and I could feel myself about to ovulate when we did the IUI. I think the timing was really good. (It hurt like a mofo when they put the speculum thingy in).

So here's my question, and I'm trying not to stress out. We used 1 vial, and my RE said, "The count is good, it's at 8.9Million." I thought that was fine and dandy, but when I got home, I looked up my sperm bank's policy. They say the post-thaw is guaranteed at 10MM. And many TTC websites say you really need 20MM-30MM count to have decent chances of conceiving.

Now I'm getting nervous. I just went through emotional and physical and financial hell to do IUI#2, and it sounds like our count actually sucked! Is 8.9MM enough to have a decent chance of fertilization? Should we be using 2 vials from now on? I can't believe this.

I'm calling the sperm bank tomorrow, to confirm what their guarantee is. If the vial was, indeed, too low, my RE needs to call the bank within 3 days. The problem is - the bank says they only guarantee up to 60 days once the vials have left their facility. I think I'm right at the 60 days, if not past that, already.

Please please, whoever reads this.... does anyone know if 8.9MM count is good? Has anyone gotten pregnant off that amount? Trying to figure out if we just drastically lowered our chances. I had really high hopes for this try, but now I'm struggling with keeping the faith.

7 comments:

evangeline said...

hey you.
i'm catching up on your blog as i type but wanted to respond to ...

we use cali cryobank and we are guaranteed 10 mil or we get our money back for that specimen - though we can still use it. we did 2 iuis on 2 consecutive days and both counts were in the 20 millions - one was 29 million and the nurse was quite impressed on that day. and i did get pregnant on that first try.

i read that anything less than 10 million isn't great but not horrible. i mean, i think if it's meant to happen, ya know...however - check with your bank (i'm thinking i remember you are going thru a cryobank, yes?) to see what thier policy is re: below 10 mil count.

xoxoxo don't worry!

JoulyBean said...

I think that count is still "good", but I would call your bank- after all, it is their guarantee, right?

I wouldn't let myself worry too much about it though- Your timing sounds perfect. Just remember that you had 8.9 Million possibilities racing to get to your egg/s!
-Joul

Stacey said...

Um, i might be dumb as we didnt go through a sperm bank, but was she not saying 8.9 million per mil? Like did you have 8.9million x 3 mils etc, that equals like 20 plus million? I know they usually count sperm by the million for PER MIL? So maybe she was saying that... let us know.... and remember, you only need ONE sperm, so you will have a few spare! ;-)

giggleblue said...

hmmm. usually they say 10M or whatever, per mL. a lot of times, iui vials are only like .6 mL, rather than a full mL, so that could explain the difference. so if the nurse was saying 8.9M for your .6 mL sample, then that would be like 14.8M per 1 mL, or over the 10M that your bank promised.

if you are unsure about it, or having hesitations about it, i would say call the bank and let them know the count. they may give you a refund or something along those lines.

meanwhile, like other's have said, i think you should still keep your spirits up about this insemination. your timing was good and you only need one successful spermy to make a baby!!! fingers crossed for you!

Anonymous said...

A girl on Fertility Friend just got pregnant and their count was 9mil!!!! Don't worry hun!!! It's still good! xo

Pufferfish said...

I would probably call the clinic and the cryobank just to confirm the what those numbers mean and the policy. Most do say 10 million+.

I have read about the 20 million sperm vials, but our guy has given a steady 13 million for 3 months.
It's like you start to get sperm envy, isn't it? I understand, b/c then I think, maybe we need more!
But then you again, you only need one.

I'm sorry this is giving you such anxiety--that's a crappy way to start out a TWW.
Wishing you good spermy vibes...(that actually sounds a little gross, but is meant with the best intentions!!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi cyclesista, I have never used donor sperm but when I did IUI our doctor wanted more than 5 million total. I do think the numbers they always gave us where x per ml. Verify what they meant you might have had a lot more. Either way 8.9 m can do it! Good Luck.