Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

15 Day Wait

So this month it's a 15 Day Wait, or 15DW. :) I had IUI#1 on Monday, IUI#2 on Tuesday. I have to come back on a Tuesday for the bloodwork. Also, my RE added $40 to the cost for labwork!! (And don't accept my insurance for labwork, so it's out of pocket)

They recommended I go a nearby lab, where they accept Aetna. Problem is - it takes them 24 hours to run the bloodwork and give my RE the results. So instead of getting results on Tuesday, I have to wait yet another day to Wednesday. Grrrr.

This all means extra days of progesterone, too.

I found out today my sister is having a girl. I half joked to Becky, "Well there goes our chances for my mom to care about our kid." My sister has only had boys so far, and my mom made it obvious she prefers a girl grandkid. Now my sister will be delivering the first girl grandchild, leaving us with no hope for grandmotherly love. ;-) We wanted to be the first!

Some of you recall the hurtful things my sister has said to me in the past. Today was another interesting one. I was telling her how I've made a really good friend at work. I've missed having a best friend, it's been years. We hired this girl (some straight, republican catholic, go figure) - but we get along like two old friends. I was explaining how having a friend is therapy for the TTC crap I'm going through.

My sister butts in and says she feels it's inappropriate for lesbians to have best friends (that are women). She said it's like her being best friends with a man, when she's married to another man. Sigh. She just doesn't get it. She thinks since I'm gay, it means I will want to jump every woman's bones, and that it's impossible for me to have a girl-friend, whether she be straight or gay. I was moderately frustrated, since I connect that thinking to the idea that "if gays can marry, next they will want to marry dogs."

So to all who doubt (attn: sister!), I am here to say - yes, I can have a good friend who is a girl. A straight, Republican, Catholic (but SUPER gay friendly) girl. It does not mean I will be puttin the MOVES on her and trying to jump her bones. I will not be fatally attracted to her simply because she's a woman and I am gay. We can be friends. PS - She's voting against the marriage ban in CA, which is awesome.

I'm 3 days into my 15DW...so far not a care in the world about the symptoms. I'm still taking my headache meds. There is less than 1% chance this month. With some confidence, I can say it's likely I'll go most of this 15DW without stressing/obsessing at all. :) What a relief, for once!

12 comments:

Heather said...

I hope that you have a happy ending to this long 15 day wait!

evangeline said...

Oy! your sister.

As for this weeks wait - I'm a little sad that you won't be obsessing and posting about it ;)

I think I'm gonna get my period today but I'm feeling not as hopeful about the egg being on the right side this month....we'll see. I HATE WAITING!!!!!

oh, and you're totally famous

bleu said...

Wow, all that tells me is that your sister DOES want to sleep with a lot of men she knows that aren't her husband.

Heather said...

Hope this is your cycle. A friend just had her first yesterday after many, many failed attempts - it does happen (hopefully soon we'll all get our shots at it!)!

Frustrating what your sister said. Mine is also "confused" about the whole lesbian deal. She tells me that she thinks it's harder for the family of gays because they have to battle with it regularly. Not sure I can see that perspective, but there it is, another side.

Personally it seems like jealousy to me. Not that you'd be attracted to anything missing male parts. It shouldn't be okay for you to have a supportive spouse and friends of the same gender when she can't. Why should you get everything? As odd as it sounds, this type of jealousy has come between my sister and I. Not the same as your situation but the way that husbands are needy and my wife is so giving. My sister finds it frustrating that I'm living this "alternative" lifestyle and it seems "easier" than her traditional lifestyle.

I think that while people around us can be frustrating and worse yet, hurtful, with their confusion and jealousy, it takes all of us cooperating to make real changes in the way society views gays and lesbians.

Just my two cents. Happy Cycle!

Anonymous said...

As angry as I am at your sister's comment, maybe it's time to show her just how stupid she sounds.

"I don't think it's appropriate to have a female best friend if you're a lesbian."

"But she's got the most beautiful breasts!" OR
"But then I lose a fuck buddy!"

I do believe one should try to open others' eyes to their ignorance, but after a while, I get fed up and just use humor. At least I'll be amusing myself ;)

Pufferfish said...

I ended up working for the world's largest corporate bank (something I swore I'd never do) and had already decided that I probably wouldn't like anyone there. Lo and Behold, I was so wrong. She was a few years younger than me, Catholic, former sorority straight chick. So, so straight. And wonderful. You just never know.
Your sister? Probably never going to get it. Too sad for her.

Happy TWW. I'm sad we're not in the same cycles anymore.

giggleblue said...

ah, you can't help but love the family members...

i swear, most of the closed minded things i hear come straight from home. what's up with that???

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your sister still has crap like this falling out of her mouth. WTF?

It's great that you made a friend--it's so hard to do!

Anonymous said...

By the way, I hope your fifteen days passes quickly. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

1) hoping that your IUI's were a HUGE success!!!! crossing all fingers over here.

2) your sister. can i just tell you HOW much i can relate to this post??? my brother has actually SAID... if gays can marry, next it will be legal to marry your dog. also, after my parents found out i was with a woman....I had my best friend over. my dad asked my mom in private if i had anything going on with my best friend. so, truly, i understand about them NOT.GETTING.IT. It's so sad. They definitely think that because I'm with a woman now, I MUST be into every woman I see. Ridiculous eh?

Hoping your sister comes around!

Anonymous said...

I hope this 15 day wait goes by super fast. And some of my best friends are straight - your sister just doesn't get it. I can totally see why you were hurt.

JK said...

I also have problems with a bitchy sister, so I understand. Good luck!