After waiting 2 months to get an appointment, we met with a new RE & facility last Friday. This was the last of the fertility docs in the area for us to interview. So far, we hadn't been impressed with anyone else. This lady had been recommended by another lesbian couple, who cried while describing this RE because she'd taken such good care of them.
We really like this doctor. She started the Portola Valley Women's Health.
Why I Loved This Doctor:
* She immediately told me I need individualized fertility help. She said because I'm dealing with frozen sperm, timing is critical.
* She said she believes frozen sperm live 8 hours - I nearly fell off my chair. This is the first time a doctor has agreed that sperm don't live for 3-4 days after IUI, which is what my current RE claims.
* She will let me choose Femara or Clomid. (My current RE pretty much forces you on Clomid)
* She proactively asked me to check my thyroid, since she said my level back in Feb was borderline not normal. My current doc never even brought this up - and apparently low thyroid can prevent pregnancy.
* She recommends ultrasounds immediately before each IUI, to see if I've ovulated yet. (I like this idea)
* Their office is a 15 minute drive from my work office. Versus my current RE, which is a 1 hour drive!!! So sneaking out for appts is very difficult, as I end up missing 3 hours of work.
* She accepts my insurance, and will submit claims.
* She feels that I should get IUIs when my body needs them, not just limited to certain morning hours.
The Drawbacks:
* Only 2 doctors at the facility. Might be hard to get appts??
* No cryostorage. But this is ok. Now that we are using CC, they have a storage facility in Palo Alto. (few miles from this doc)
* They are expensive!!!!! Right now I pay $285 for ultrasounds, and $175 for IUIs. This place charges $370 for each. Monthly fees for two iuis could be $1500, not including $1000 for sperm. ouch.
I think we are going to try using this place for our next few rounds. In the meantime, we will use my current RE for my polyp surgery next month. I will also get my thyroid checked out. I read that your levels to get pregnant and sustain pregnancy need to be 1-2. Mine was 2.9. (The threshold for "normal" is 1-3, so I am borderline)
I am just glad we made some progress, and found a new doctor! Let's hope her prices make up for the promised individualized attention. I am so ready to get back on the TTC wagon again...alas, I have to wait two months still.
PS - I am so proud of my girl! She is painfully shy, especially on the phone. She 'cowboy'd up' and is volunteering at the Prop 8 phone bank tonight at the LGBT center in San Jose! I am too afraid of phone solicitation, but I am so proud of her for doing this. She really stepped up her game.
PPS - Speaking of games, I am MORTIFIED at how the Red Sox played yesterday!
Monday, October 13, 2008
Found out new RE!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
Whoohoo!
Sounds great. We're considering a change, too. I've long wanted ultrasounds around the time of my IUI to see if I really have ovulated.
The new doctor sounds wonderful! And you sound upbeat and positive and happy too!! This, is wonderful news :)
The cost is tough, I'll admit. But we were so happy to have found a doc we LIKED and knew we could be comfortable with!
It sounds like you've found that person - we wish you luck!
I think that a doctor who seems to put you first and who knows about how critical timing is will be worth your extra money.
Find out if appointments would likely be an issue. My clinic has ONE doctor and I would give a left arm if he would take on a partner to double up. I think two will be just fine.
I think you're going to end up going with her so I want to say congratulations on your new doctor! She really sounds awesome!
Hallelujah!!! This new doctor sounds fabulous. We, too, are searching for a new RE for all the same reasons you mentioned in this post.
You know, the cost may be difficult, but so is the stress caused by incompetent clinics. I suppose it's all in relation.
The new doc sounds great and if they take less time to get you PG because they are better caregivers, it will be more cost effective in the long run.
Good luck!
Good for you! I like the ultrasound idea, too.
The new RE sounds perfect. You've needed a change and I think you just found what you've been needing!
New doc sounds freaking awesome!!!!! Maybe expensive, but wow!! She has her stuff together, if you ask me. Hopefully you'll have an awesome experience with her!!
Ps. Loved your last post title (that's what she said). Ahh, a fellow OFFICE lover!
totally just linked my name to specific destiny in the last comment. sorry!!! too much blogging is making me crazy.
i wanted to say our RE office only has two doctors, and it works out perfectly!
Post a Comment