So today I made a map of all 5 No on 8 rallys in my area.... and drove to each one. I had the gayest car ever - with NO on 8 signs on every window. :) I wanted to make sure each little rally got lots of honks. I did a few laps around each one, with my dog in the passenger seat. I got teary eyed a few times, just seeing our community try so hard to gain equal rights.
Becky volunteered at a rally/No on 8 table in downtown WIllow Glen. (This is a few miles from our house - and supposed to be a liberal town). She gave me some sad news - 40% of the response was negative. Over a 2 hour period, at least 10 people yelled foul things from their car. One even stopped his car in the middle of the intersection, to yell out "Die faggots!" And other drivers yelled "Mothereffing faggots!" A whole lot of faggot-calling going on. WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!! It's one thing to disagree, but to stoop so low as to yell hateful words...
Now there are three happy stories from her rally:
1) Two old ladies stopped by, and they got married recently. They are coming to my rally tomorrow, which now will have between 100-200 people!
2) An older woman came out of a Starbucks, and said she's already voted no on 8. She gave the No on 8 team Starbucks certificates, so they could get coffee. :)
3) A husband, wife, and their son said they are planning their own No on 8 rally next weekend. I love that!
In general, I am losing faith in humanity. So many mean people, so many mean words. I'm glad when I'm reminded that there are still a few "good ones" left.
But man, I am getting SICK of seeing Yes on 8 lawn signs planted everywhere, tied onto chainlink fences, and Yes on 8 rallies everywhere I turn - on street corners, on highway overpasses. I get really evil thoughts towards them - I know that's bad. (At least I don't shout mean things to them, which keeps me slightly above the monkeys we deal with)
:) Tomorrow is my big rally! Biggest one in the South Bay! Im just hoping we dont have any run-ins or violence breakout. yikes.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
The Things People Say....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Thanks for working so hard for us gay folk. Unforunately, living in Kansas allows us to know the general ignorance of humanity, but there are some good ones out there, just not enough. Good luck at your Rally!
I hope your rally is a HUGE success. You're doing great work - don't let the bastards grind you down.
Post a Comment