Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, February 20, 2009

Another disturbing call with my sister

First things first - let's talk about symptoms. I'm 11DPO - not a symptom to speak of. No sore bbs, my CP is low, none of that creamy CM, no twinges. I did get whacked with my standard PMS migraine today - I broke down and took my RX, and that didn't help. That's proof that this is my PMS headache; it's the only one that doesn't respond to meds. And I'm starving all the time. My two classic PMS symptoms. I'll be shocked to get a + on Monday. I even had two follies this time! Looks like we're moving to injectables...

Ok, now my sister. We hadn't spoken in a while, and I figured she didn't care about my TTC process. Bear in mind, my sister is true blue Mormon, but not as hateful and mean-tongued as my mom is. In fact, my sister even asked how the TTC stuff was coming along.

Here is how our conversation ensued. Warning: it's very offensive, so I apologize for my sister's lack of empathy.

Sis: "How's the baby stuff?"
Me: "Same old... (I continue to tell her how hard it's been, and that I'm gaining so much weight, emotionally it's hard, etc")
Sis: "When are you going to quit? I mean, you've spent so much money already. Are you going to just quit soon?"
Me: "I can't give up. I had polyps last year which prevented me, so it's like we're starting over again."
Sis: "IVF is expensive, would you do that?"
Me: "Well, if we have to."
Sis: "Why don't you just adopt?"
Me: "Well, I'd like to have my own child. If we can't it's an option we're considering."
Sis: "Can't you just get a US baby or a Russian baby?"
Me: "No, for gay couples we have limited options, even moreso than straight couples."
Sis: "Would your kid be white?"
Me: "No, most likely African American or Mexican."
>>>>>> SISTER LETS OUT A MAJOR GASP, LIKE SHE'S JUST SEEN THE BOOGEYMAN<<<<<<<
Sis: "!!!!!! OMG, you CANNOT get a black kid. Don't get a back kid!"
Me: "WTF... why? What's wrong with that?"
Sis: "HELLO, that kid would be so messed up. First, it'd be a black kid with WHITE parents. And even worse, their parents would be GAY? You can't do that to a kid, that kid would be totally messed up."

Ok, let's break this down. There are SO many things wrong with what she said. Apparently, she doesn't realize that many straight couples also adopt children of color. it's not just a gay thing. Furthermore, how sad that she thinks it's such an abomination, and abusive to a child's emotions - that a black kid should have white, gay parents.

Really, sis? Is this kid better off being carted from foster home to foster home? I know many gay couples who've adopted children of color, and all their families are BEAUTIFUL, healthy and happy.

She then said my mom is pissed at me for not returning her emails the last month. I briefly informed my sister that our mom donated $500 to Yes on 8. My sister voted yes, but didn't donate. She seemed mildly sympathetic, but then told me, "Well dont bring it up with mom. Just call her back and let her know how you're doing."

She doesn't realize that this was the last straw. How can i look my mom in the face, when she's told me she'll never be happy for me, that my wanting to start a family is a perversion, and that it's child abuse if we have kids, and the gay people just want dogs, not kids... and now she's dug deep into her poor retirement pockets to donate $500 to make my life more difficult?

But my mom is a pro at acting like nothing's wrong, she'll call me, email me, send me a valentine's day card. Everything ends with "Love ya!" How do you combat people that have NO clue how harassing and damaging their words are? Im tired of confronting my mom. Not worth my time, and anytime i confront her, it solidifies her beliefs even more. She gets more proud of her faith, and her actions.

I want a new family.

12 comments:

Lizzie said...

I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine how tough it is. You are incredibly strong, and I'm sure you've built a beautiful family around you, even if your bio family is not supportive (and worse, actively hurtful). Big, big hugs.

Anonymous said...

Ug- people can be so damn hurtful in the name of "love" and "faith". I am so sorry you're dealing with these ignorances on top of the stress of TTC. Just focus on the support you DO have. And I can tell you that reading YOUR blog makes me feel less alone in the TTC lesbian world! On the bi-racial family issue- my partner and I chose an african-american anonymous donor...and now have a known donor who is! (My best male friend). We are both white and feel like love sees no color boundaries. Our RE made a comment about our donor choice the first IUI we had- I was pretty offended. He wanted to "let us know" that there could be social and psychological ramifications. Nothing like feeling guilty before your first IUI. That was a year ago...now we're WAYYyyyyYYy over it. We're just hoping for a good little soul to bless our lives. Sorry to hear about your PMS signs coming on. I'm taking progesterone for the first time and keep thinking I'm feeling new things- also first month on injectibles...so, who knows...TWW sucks!

Stacey said...

I wanted a new family too... in my mind, i dont have a dad, and barely have a mum, they support us fully, but are wrong in so many other ways.. anyhow, i know how you feel, you can chose and start your new family, you dont have to go back to ur mum and pretend nothing is wrong- that would be wrong.. stand by your decision... when you have a baby, you will want him/her to see you as proud of who you are, and to put up with that stuff would be going against that...anyhow, i feel for you! its going to work out, all of it, and you will have your new family, just like what happened to me.. now I have my wife and our baby and her parents are our baby's grandparents- not mine... and we are happy.

N said...

Ugh. I can't even imagine. I wish I could share the love and warmth of family with everybody who deserves it. *HUGS*

Anonymous said...

wow that is awful. I am going through something similar with my brother so I feel where you are coming from. Here's hoping that things get better and you get that new family you are soooo longing for :o) Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Whoa. Yikes.

So so sorry that THAT's your family. Maybe you could be adopted by a family of color just to spite them?

Kidding. But only because you're too grown-up to be adopted now. You truly deserve a loving and supportive family.

Hoping that Monday surprises the hell out of you.

Michelle said...

I've always wanted a sister... but not that one.

Yikes. Very judgemental.

I too have no family extended family by choice. Sometimes you have to put your feelings first and do what keeps you sane.

Anonymous said...

You may absolutely borrow my Minneapolis-based parents for unconditional love and hugs, if you're ever in Minnesota. They're good loaners. :)

Carrie, I'm sorry that you continue to have to deal with such ignorance. You deal with the issues with such strength and courage, and I admire you for it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're faced with such attitudes within your own family. That must be incredibly hurtful and I admire you for staying srtong in the face of it.

Anonymous said...

wow. what the hell? i am so sorry you have to deal with crappy, ignorant comments like that from your own family. no one should have to go through that.

jessie said...

Puke. So glad you didn't turn out like them

Laurie said...

My goodness... I have no words. No words at all...