Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Need your sage advice

I had been planning to do 4 rounds of injectables, then IVF. Do injectables really increase your odds that much?
Given that each round of injectables costs me $4k-5K against my insurance coverage, (and I have a lifetime amount of $15k left)...what should i do?

3 rounds then IVF? IVF will be so expensive. I dont want to waste my time, but I'd like to try and get pregnant slightly cheaper than IVF.

No idea what to do. Honestly, if it were you, what would you do?

9 comments:

bleu said...

I would wait to see your response to injectibles first and then decide.

Laurie said...

I (think) I'm in a similar situation to you. I have a lifetime max on my insurance of $20,000. Because of the max, we chose to go to IVF quickly thinking we would get "more bang for our buck". We figured that it might cost a little more, but the chances of pregnancy were so much higher, so it would be worth it. Well, we are scheduled for our 4th transfer this Tuesday... no BFPs yet.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that IVF isn't a guarantee. We went into IVF thinking "it's gotta work!" I mean, how can it not? But the truth is, nothing is for sure. We know a lesbian couple who has 4 children with her partner and they did at home insems!

So, I think you need to do what is right for you. You have to figure out what will make you feel most comfortable and confident. I'm sure that probably doesn't help with your decision... but I just think it's so important :)

This cycle will be the one anyway... so you wont have to worry about any of this! :)

Jen said...

I agree. I would wait to see how your body reacts. Also, what does your doctor think? I wanted to jump right into IVF with my new doc, but that is not even on the table b/c she doesn't think it is necessary and that IVF should be used as a last resort. So many decisions...

Anonymous said...

i would wait to see how you respond to injectibles. i would consider the first time (if it doesn't work) an expensive learning experience and go for #2 with gusto. since money is of the essence, if it doesn't work for some reason i'd probably move on to ivf. but just so that you know, i got pregnant on my 3rd injectible cycle, for whatever it's worth...

Unknown said...

for myself, my partner and i are going to try at least a few injectible cycles if necessary. it is, as everyone seems to be mentioning, really hard to make a hard and fast decision until you see what kind of a responder you are. me, i did respond, but only on very high doses of FSH and then i started to ovulate a day or two before the doc wanted me to. so, i MAYBE had two eggs release. but, it was enough to make me say if i'm not pregnant, i'd go thru it again and spend the dough. but, our next step is not IVF due to my eggs being the issue, our next step according to our RE is egg donation (from my partner if her younger eggs look good). so, a lot of different and new feelings to work thru if that is the case (although i know i will get there and be excited if we use her eggs.) i really hope you have a good follicle response this week. best of luck and remember to BREATHE!

dariasquirrel said...

AND- it only takes one good one! that's what i hold onto! :~)

Anonymous said...

i'll be the dissenting voice. if it were me, i'd jump to ivf. even if your ovaries respond well to injectibles, there are still so many other factors (mostly dealing with the sperm and fertilization) that ivf bypasses. it would suck to use up all your coverage on injectibles and then have to pay for ivf out of pocket.

ill just add as a disclaimer here that my opinion is heavily influenced by the fact that injectibles didnt work for us and ivf did...

Anonymous said...

Injectibles increased the amount of follicles for me, but didn't get me pregnant. I'd jump right to IVF given your situation. Having that 50/50 chance ahead of you is so comforting after all these dreadful IUIs.

Note: After nine of them, I'm very soured on IUIs.

Lizzie said...

I don't get a choice. We've got insurance coverage, but it dictates the number of injectables cycles we have to do before they will pay for IVF. But I have heard that a lot of IVF docs require you to do one round of injectables anyway, to see how your body reacts to the meds, before going all out on IVF. So this cycle is a good learning experience, either way.