Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, October 16, 2009

Doctors, Dopplers, and Marathons. Oh my!

Wow, I sure got you all fired up yesterday with my high-risk doctor post! :) I appreciated all of your sentiments!

So here's the plan of action:
Good news, is that this was a one-time visit. He doesn't feel I'm high risk, so I won't be coming back. I won't be seeing him ever again. He felt that if my homocysteine level comes back normal, my MTHFR shouldn't pose a risk for clots. He also said that altho I tested positive for antiphospholipid antibodies, I was negative for the three strains that affect pregnancy. I don't totally believe him. Maybe he knows his stuff, maybe he's mistaken!

I've booked an appt with a hematologist at Stanford University Hospital. I see her on 11/3, and will show her all my blood results. This is the second opinion I badly need. She can tell me if I truly am at no risk for clots, or if I should continue the injections. I understand that if my blood is fine and I take Loven0x, I do risk possible placental abruption, where it detaches from the wall. So based on what this woman says, I will take her advice. if I am supposed to stop injections, I will. So excited to finally meet a real hematologist!

Doppler Fun! So my doppler arrived last night! We tested it out, and sure enough, within 30 seconds we found peanut. 154 hb. Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh. I was like...wow, peanut is seriously IN my crotch! i didn't realize s/he was so low. Now when I need reassurance, I can use ye olde doppler.

This weekend will be fun. Becky is doing the Nike Womens Half Marathon through SF. (About an hour from where we live) We decided to stay at a hotel in SF, and bring the dog. We head up tomorrow, and guess what? We're getting sushi from my favorite sushi place on earth! I used to live in SF, and it was 3 blocks from my apartment. I miss it. They have tons of pregnant-friendly rolls. All fancy rolls there are like $4.00. Ridiculously cheap.

Snap and I will try to get up early enough on Sunday to cheer for Becky near the finish line. Then we'll grab some hamburgers at our favorite SF pub, and head home.

Looking forward to the weekend. Now if only I could shake this pregnancy fatigue. It's kicking my ass. PS - It's time for a photo post soon, eh? My posts are getting too texty. :) We'll take some pics this weekend.

9 comments:

Mina said...

Whew--I'm glad you're not seeing that jerk again!

Yay, doppler fun! That must be such a relief to have that at your disposal. Have a great weekend! Good luck to Becky with her marathon :)

N said...

I'm STILL not over the fatigue. Hah.

Yeah, they're super low for a long time - they only just come up over your pelvic bone around 12 weeks, so depending on how they're situated, you'll be down there a while. (Of course, most babies by my time you hear the hb much higher, but I STILL get it between my pelvic bone & layer of flab, b/c she's head down and SO FREAKING LOW.)

I hope the consult with the hem helps you a bit. FWIW, the risk of having issues b/c of the lovenox is very very very low (my high risk doc that I have to see b/c I'm with the midwives said about .5% or something like that) - but note that if it's detachment that you're talking about, that's placental abruption. Placenta Previa is where it covers (partially or fully) the cervix, so that you can't vaginally deliver, and are at higher risk for bleeding out and losing the baby. Also dangerous, but not in the least bit caused by blood thinners; it's just where the placenta attaches to your uterine lining. :) Though my doc didn't even say anything about placental abruption - it's something about blood and bones or something like that. Are you sure they didn't mean that IF you have placenta previa, it puts you at higher risk b/c you'll bleed more easily?

GIsen said...

Ahhhh..the reassurance of the old doppler. I'm glad you feel better and more at ease with the whole pregnancy. Now maybe you can relax and enjoy:)

Jen said...

I am so glad you got a doppler and maybe some of your anxiety can go away! Have a great weekend...a hmaburger sounds so good!

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

Phew--I just read this & yr last post and am so glad that that is the one and only time you'll be seeing THAT a-hole!
Glad to hear that the doppler has set your mind at ease a bit. Have a great, relaxing time this weekend!

Heather said...

dopplers are the best! I'm glad that you've got yours so you can hear peanut in there anytime you want. Hopefully the hemotologist will have nothing but good news for you aswell!

Also, Throw some cheers in there for me while cheering Becky on. I couldn't run around the block!! lol.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you have a second opinion and plan lined up and that the doppler is working out for you. Enjoy your weekend and your sushi!

Anonymous said...

Lobvely to hear you sounding so perky. I'm glad you don't have to see that asshole doctor again.

Two Moms, Two Monkeys said...

So glad you are getting that second opinion! Now I can sleep at night ;)

Have fun at the marathon an enjoy your doppler! I think it will make a world of difference being able to check every time you need to, that your baby is alive and well. Hope this eases your anxiety a bit.