Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

H1N1 vaccine?

I am truly, truly torn on this one. I will probably get the seasonal flu vaccine in the next week or so. The H1N1 has me on the fence. I'm not confident that it's been tested enough, we don't know how babies will turn out (short and longterm), and it feels so rushed to market.

Some doctors absolutely refuse to get the vaccine, or to give it to their families. They say it's full of toxins and could be very dangerous. Other doctors think it's a must.

I don't know what to do! Some say swine flu is overblown, it's not that bad, and the vaccine could pose a bigger threat than even getting the swine flu. They say this is all the CDC and politicians and drug companies trying to create a big scare and make money.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Get the vaccine, risk unknown dangers of a rushed-to-market drug, with unknown effects on a fetus. Don't get the vaccine, and risk serious complications or death from catching swine flu.

I saw this article, and now it's scared me into reconsidering getting the vaccine:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/health/20pregnant.html?_r=1

What are you all doing? I guess I better decide soon.

14 comments:

Laurie said...

I am not getting any vacines. Instead, I am keeping my hands clean.. using antibacterial gel.. not touching my face.. sanitizing things like shopping carts before using them, etc.

Anonymous said...

I did get the seasonal flu shot for the first time in years, because it has been so extensively tested.

I'm unsure whether the H1N1 vaccine will become available in the next three weeks in my area, but even if it does....I don't think I'm going to get it. Agree with you...too rushed to market, and too many open questions.

Melissa said...

I'm not getting any of the vaccines either. Just trying to avoid and keep sanitized as much as possible.

Anonymous said...

I already got the seasonal flu vaccine (thimerosol free) and am anxiously waiting to get the H1N1 vaccine. It's going to be in very short supply in my area, and my OB's office just gave me this instruction today: "Call every morning at 10 a.m. On the day we get it, we'll ask you to come in right away. We expect to run out of our supply within one day..." Wow.

Having listened to the NPR pieces on the vaccine, and the interview with the people from the CDC (who say it's not nearly as "rushed to market" as the hype suggests, given that it's based on the well-tested seasonal flu vaccine), I'm comfortable getting it. Considering that I have a kindergartner and will be the primary caretaker for a newborn who won't be able to get the vaccine in the midst of flu season, I feel like I have a responsiblity to get the shot.

That puts me in crazy-woman-every-day-at-10 a.m. mode, and kind of reminds me of the good old days, calling the RE's office like a fiend.

N said...

I was very on the fence, but have decided that I'm going to get it. Now if I can just find it... *g*

And yes, I'll get the thimerosal version if I need to. I did that with the seasonal flu vaccine and have no regrets.

I can go into my reasoning, but it would be long and rambly, so if you want to hear it, feel free to drop me an e-mail. :)

But if you're okay with the seasonal flu vaccine, then you *should* be okay with the h1n1, too. (there are people with objections all around, which I understand.) Though it's scary to me that we haven't seen any long-term consequences of using this previously unused strain, I also know that if there'd been enough lead time, it would be in the seasonal vaccine, and I know that it was prepared exactly like the seasonal one. I also know I'm more scared of the fact that PG women are hit more, and harder, with this than with the regular flu, and by my nurse and doctor friends telling stories of women coming in, having to be in ICU, and some of them dying.

Okay, so I got into some of it there. But not all of it. And I'll shut up now, really. XD

OK, one last thing - NY Times also has a good FAQ here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/health/10primer.html?_r=2

Jen said...

Funny..this is exactly what my post today is about. I got
the standard flu vac last month and I got the h1n1 today. I didn't hestiate at all to get it and I think the pros out weigh the cons. My OB was insistant bc I have such a low immune system and being from the Midwest, it is spreading like wildfire. My step-mom is also an OB, wants the absolute best for me and also demanded I get it. do what you feel is best for you, but I was one of the first OB patients to get it.

Stacey said...

carrie, I am not sure what the trials were over there but in Australia the trials were so small and it was so rushed, and being in the health profession, my peers and some of the most respected Doctors around will not take it themselves, the trial was just too small. I would hold out, I would just, as Laurie said, keep vigilant about hygiene and avoid the shot...

Inlocoparentis said...

Being pregnant and severely asthmatic, I really did not feel that I had the option to get the vaccine, and my OB agreed that the risk of acquiring H1N1 far outweighed the risk from the vaccine. I got it yesterday and I am so glad I did. My doctor also strongly recommended that both my partner and I get the vaccine because that will provide the most protection for our baby, who cannot get vaccinated until he's 6 months old and will start day care before that age. I trust her.

Heather said...

I have recieved the regular flu shot, but I will not get the H1N1 shot...if at all possible. I work in a hospital so they are mandating everyone to get both (which I do believe is on hold right now)... so I think I'm in the clear for now. I don't want it, so hopefully they wont wave my job over my head if I don't get it. Anywho, I don't think that you should get it. Make sure you keep your hands clean (scrub often even when you don't think they are dirty) and keep away, FAR away from sick people, and try not to put your hands in your facial holes... lol... eyes, mouth, nose, etc.

Stay healthy =)

Katy said...

I've been really torn on this issue. My midwife doesn't have a stance on it yet, but she does recommend the seasonal flu shot. But I'm leaning towards not getting either vaccine. The only reason I've ever gotted the flu shot was that I worked in an elementary school the last 3 years and they offered it to staff for free. If I still worked there, and if I was going to go the daycare route, I'd be getting both for sure. Instead I will be staying home with the baby and doing lots of sanitizing!

GIsen said...

I have no advice,because i would be devastated if as a result something happened to the baby you waited so long to concieve.

If you lived here however and had to ride the germ cultivator called the subway i would say get vaccinated for everything under the sun and then some.lol I have.

Best of luck with your decision though.

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

This article makes the point that if the H1N1 had been available earlier, it would have been a part of the regular seasonal flu vaccine, and making this decision would be a moot point. http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2009/10/12/091012taco_talk_specter

If I find that I am pregnant this flu season, I will do everything in my power to get the H1N1 shot, no question.

evangeline said...

just so you know....it doesn't stop once the baby is here. lani and i areon the fence about whether to get the H1N1 vaccine for the kids.....we're not big on vaccines and yet, if something happened to them i'd never forgive myself.

dariasquirrel said...

nope, not getting either..but i'm in the last few weeks of pregnancy and not working, so i can regulate a lot easier than you in that respect (although my partner brought a flu home from her cubie last week and i was totally freaked out and quarantined her to the guest room all week!) my midwife recommended that i take emergence-C drinks daily and added vitamin D drops to my normal herbs/vitamins and i'm also not using cash to avoid touching bills which i read can hold the flu for up to 17 days...YIKES. i'm usually opposed to the ol' sanitizing gel, but now i carry it with me in public and use it like it's my favorite hand lotion...i feel like the H1N1 hasn't been tested enough as well. and from what i've seen from my partner, the 'normal flu' (although not fun) wasn't something i felt like i and the babe couldn't come thru alright. taking my chances in oregon!