Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 1, 2009

11w3d

I'm about 11.5 weeks. My OB called at 6pm last night, minutes before I was about to leave her a messaging saying THANKS for not calling me back all day. LOL. My OB didn't have a copy of the u/s pic we have, she had a pic taken at a slightly different angle...so I suppose I am taking her comments with a grain of salt.

She prefaced with saying she is not a certified ultrasound technician, so she isn't skilled at reading them. (Is it weird that my OB doesn't do scans?) She said the picture she had looked normal. It alleviated maybe 10% of my fears, but knowing she's not certified to do scans, and knowing she was looking at a different picture made it a wet blanket response for me. She kept saying "Stop worrying! You can't control these things, they're out of your hands. So you need to not worry!"

Sorry, but that does not work for me. The fact that I can't control if my baby has severe deformities, or the high risk of losing this baby to a blood clot...why should that mean I can't worry?

My IVF doc called and said my Natural Killer cells have gone UP since my last treatment. Sigh. They said to get another infusion asap, so I go back tomorrow for my 3.5 hour boring infusion.

You wouldn't believe how much work I am missing lately for these appointments. I missed work Monday, and Tuesday I missed a half day. Tomorrow I am out a half-day for my infusion. Next Friday is our nuchal scan and I will be OOO for half a day.
Each week thereafter, I am missing at LEAST 1/2 of a workday for a doctor appt. I have two appts next week.

It never stops! Well, next Friday is what I'm calling a watershed moment for us. The nuchal screening will give us an indication if the baby is ok or not. Hopefully everything is fine, I'm trying not to worry. Seriously tho - I feel like a medical hot mess lately. :)

10 comments:

Heather said...

I'm sure that your little baby is just FINE! However, the OB is right, It is out of your control. Deformities or not, it is still your baby that you will love no matter what.

I hope that your next scan will give you girls some peace.

Anonymous said...

Of course you worry. That's part of the whole motherhood mystique. But Heather is right, you deserve some breathers soon and enjoy the pregnancy at last!

CJ said...

It's your child. Your baby. Your future. How can you NOT worry. Hope for the best, but expect to handle the worst. Try not to drive yourself nuts. You can't CHANGE anything, but you can be aware. Good luck with the scan!

N said...

I understand the worry. I know it so well.

But I think that, even with all the caveats, your OB is right, and you should take a chance to breathe. If not now, then next week after the NT. (Note, however, that unless you get the blood prick done prior to the appointment, you won't get same-day results. Sometimes not even if you've done the prick already, b/c the genetic counselor has to go over them. Just so you're not surprised.)

S. said...

I kind of agree with your doctor. Worry doesn't help. Hard but true. Is there something you can do for yourself? A treat on top of all these appointments? Remember you said you liked her because she was "tough love" and you needed that? Try to appreciate that quality in her.

Pufferfish said...

I know it's hard not to worry--I worry almost every day at some point. But I felt a lot better after the NT scan.
I do hope they did your blood work prior, b/c they won't be able to give you your final results that day without it.
You should check on that.

The photo looks fine to me, but I'm no expert.
Yeah, it does make sense that your OB wouldn't be either, b/c you go to an specialist for imaging. So do I.

Hang in there--you are almost out of the craziness of the 1st trimester and I hope you can breathe and enjoy this pregnancy soon.

Robbie said...

I don't really have any information/opinion regarding your u/s, your doctor or your worrying. Just here to show my support. :) On a much lighter note, are you going to find out the sex of your little one? My friend found out her twins were both boys at her nuchal scan. As they were getting ready to leave, the guy that did it asked if they wanted to know, like an afterthought. I didn't even know you could tell that young. I'm so used to people finding out at 20 weeks. Anyway, something not "deformity related" you can look forward to. :)

Jen said...

I worry about everything and even after your scan, you will worry about something else. This is the beginnning of
motherhood! We now have a lifetime of worrying. I am 26 weeks and still worried about miscarrying so it never ends. Can we be hot messes together? :)

Heidi said...

There will never be a moment in your life when you don't worry. I've always loved the quote "“Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

I agree with what Jen and Heather both said: this is just the beginning of the rest of your life! You're a mom--you'll always worry. The great thing about this nine months is that at least you've got those little ones inside you so at least they can't run out into traffic. The bonus is that this is a great time to learn how you deal with motherhood-related stress and figure out some relaxation techniques.
Best of luck at the scan next week!