Well we have a new twist in the pregnancy - I now may be headed for a c/s. Baby's on the big side, and we want to avoid shoulder dystocia. A new twist just emerged at today's OB appt, too. I've got another vag infection (what is it with my pregnancy and freaking infections!)....which is normally no big deal, except that I'm preggo. This particular infection could be bad if the baby got it, which would primarily occur through a vaginal birth.
Our OB said it should take about 2 weeks to go away, but I don't think we have 2 weeks left. I think I have a matter of DAYS before I go into labor. He said not to worry, we will just have to do a c-section. In my family, women go into labor 14 days early, always starting with water breaking. He said if my water breaks first, we'll have up to 6 hours to get her out before risk of infection gets high.
SO.....I'm trying to wrap my head around getting a c/s now. The most important thing is to get her out safely (and no shoulder dystocia!)...but I do worry about the c/s, the long recovery, the pain, the inability to move around much.
For any of you who had a c/s, I would so greatly appreciate hearing the good, bad and ugly. From showing up to the hospital (did they do epidural or spinal), to the actual procedure, to especially what the recovery was like.
1. How long were you bedridden?
2. How long did it take for you to be able to walk around normally
3. How long until you were back to normal, able to exercise, etc?
4. Did the stitches ever come open?
5. How wide was the incision, and did it heal nicely or is it all big blotchy and puffy red 6 mo later?
And anything else I should know. Thanks so much! xx
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Calling all cesarean birth moms!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



19 comments:
It took me about 2 weeks before I was able to get out of bed on my own (we have a bed low to the ground). I was able to walk normal about a week after. I didn't start exercising till 8 weeks after. I had some really bad problems with low blood pressure though so it took me a little longer to get back to normal. My stitches never came open or anything. I did have major problems laying on my side for the first 6 weeks. Because your uterus is still all flabby and the stitches pull and it hurts. It is not as bad as you think, I was scared just like you and I'm happy I didn't have to worry about pushing out an 11 pound baby, or trying to push then having an emergency C/S. Sorry about taking over your comments.
They actually get you up and walking very soon after the surgery, starting with short distances and working up from there. I was on my feet within 12 hours and walking pretty well in 3-4 days. As the previous commenter said, the worst part was laying on my side and it took me a couple of weeks to do that comfortably. I had staples and had no problems with them. They took them out (painlessly) before I left the hospital. My scar is so tiny, I can't believe they pulled an 8+ pound baby through the opening!
I had other issues that complicated my recovery, but they had to do with developing a uterine infection during labor and laboring for 52 hours (w/4 hours of pushing) before the c-section so I was completely wiped. If you go into a planned c-section relatively rested, I would expect your recovery to be very manageable.
Good luck with whatever happens. I'm sure you'll do great!
For what it's worth:
Shoulder dystocia is pretty much impossible to predict before delivery. It occurs unpredictably in just .5% of births, in babies of all weights.
Here are some links if you're interested:
http://www.shoulderdystociainfo.com/introduction.htm
http://www.theunnecesarean.com/the-unnecesarean/
I don't know enough about your infection and the risks to comment on that, but I'd look into shoulder dystocia a bit more if I were you.
Good luck, I know your baby will be wonderful and much loved regardless of the circumstances of your delivery. :)
I had my c/s for exactly the same reason: biiiggg baby (with some pre-e thrown in for good measure). I do not regret the decision at all.
I had a spinal for the first, and an epidural for the second baby. No real difference between the two. That was seriously the worst part and it lasts only a couple of minutes.
Just remember to communicate with the doc doing the drugs (he/she will sit at your head). If you feel nauseaus, shakey, too cold/hot, dizzy, tell her!!! They can put meds into your iv to make you comfortable. If you are totally wigged out, they can even put some anti-anxiety drugs in the iv once the baby is out.
They had me out of bed after 12 hours the first time, but it was with assistance from the nurses just to go to the bathroom and kinda clean up. You will have a cathetar in for awhile, which is kinda wierd, but not too painful.
I cannot stress enough to keep on top of your pain!!! Don't try to be a hero, because it can get really bad, and it is harder to control once you do start really feeling it. Plus being stressed out about the pain does nothing for getting your milk supply going (which may take a tiny bit longer for a c/s if your body wasn't in labor before, but don't worry, it will come).
My advice is to accept the morphine (or whatever substitute they give you intravenously) for the first 24 hours, or until they take out your iv. Plenty of time to step down to the pills later. And if a nurse asks you if you want to try just motrin, politely decline and ask for vicodin or norco or something stronger.
Also, if you are concerned about the itching that may occur with the morphine or some of the other drugs, make sure they shoot some benadryl into your iv when they give you the morphine. It will counteract the itching at the same time the painkillers are working. I learned that lesson the hard way the first time around: morphine would kick in, but I would start itching like crazy. By the time the nurses would get the benadryl on board, the morphine would be wearing off. So tell them you are itchy and they will give it to you at the same time.
Also, as gross as this sounds, keep trying to fart while you are recovering at first. I would slowly pull one leg up towards my chest and down again. Getting that gas out will help with the pain.
One other thing... see if they will give you an abdominal binder. It is like a soft brace that goes around your middle. It keeps your stomach bound up so that the jiggling of the flabby skin (like the commenter above) doesn't happen and it cuts down on the pain. But you have to ask for it, I think. No one gave me one the first time I had a c/s, but the nurse brough me one for the second c/s (same hospital) and it was SO. MUCH. BETTER. I wore that bad boy for weeks after I was home, particluarly walking around.
I felt better after a couple of weeks, but it will take at least a month to feel completely better. I am wishing you the best of luck that your little one is here safe and sound soon! The goal is a safe and healthy baby and mom. I does not matter one lick how the baby gets here. Whoa, I just realized how long this was, sorry!!!
I have had two c-sections and honestly, they weren't that bad at all (of course it is all that I know). But to answer your questions:
1) I was up that same night. Walking around the room the following morning and by the time I left the hospital 3 days later could walk the hallways and pretty much move around okay.
2) I would say I was walking around normally within 5 to 6 days. Just a couple of days after getting home from the hospital.
3) I would say I was totally "back to normal" by 4 weeks but didn't start exercising until after 6 weeks like they recommended.
4) I didn't have stitches, I had that tape stuff which was great. Both times. Never had any issues with any of it.
A couple of thoughts: Take the pain meds. Seriously. If you stay on top of the pain it is SO much easier and faster to heal. You are not hurting your baby, take it. Trust me.
I slept on a lazyboy chair for the first few nights home from the hospital because it IS hard to get up from a flat position. Plus, for me, flat wasn't comfy.
You'll do great. I swear it isn't nearly as hard as pushing a large baby out your hoohaa, but again I never did that. Just take it easy and you'll be fine. The bodies do amazing things and recover quickly.
I just wanted to stop in and day thank you for asking the questions. My partner has to have a c-section and I wasn't sure what to expect.
My recovery was pretty easy too... back to normal around 8 weeks. Stay on top of your pain meds - the thing is to not get behind, even if that means having the nurse wake you. I only got whatever was in my IV, then switched to toradol? (a fancy motrin?) I never took the vicodin, but I did fill the rx. Never needed it. I had HELLP so that changed things up a bit for me, no walking that day since I was on a mag drip - pure hell, that drug. BUT, once that was done, I started walking as soon as possible - the sooner the better!! It's not as scary as you think it might be - everyone talks you through the whole thing. I felt very comfortable with the whole process. Good luck!!
I think you read about my horrendous C section BUT the baby came fine.
I walked the same day, the faster you get you the better you feel. I think it took about 2 weeks for me to get around really well. I went to ikea around that time and was fine! My incision is small and you can barely see it. It smelled funny and I lost a bunch of staples but that did not hurt anything at all.
I agree with the laying on the side thing, that was the worse part but I used a body pillow just like when I was pregnant.
Everybody's covering the most important take-home about c-sections: they're not at bad as people make them out to be. I had very little incision pain, it's a tiny scar, and I felt so much better after a week that I had to be reminded not to pick up heavy things.
My bits of assvice:
1) If you end up laboring, but think in the back of your head that you'll have to go to c anyway, ask for it before you get exhausted.
2) I learned the hard way that there is such thing as too much of a good thing (the epidural). I felt no pain, but was out of it for close to 10 hours. I would have rather felt some pain in order to be more present for bonding (although the pictures say we were together and breastfeeding in the first hour).
3) Walk when the nurses encourage you to walk, but let them know if you're having a tough time. They can help you develop workarounds for getting in and out of bed, etc.
4) Find out about any activity restrictions ahead of time. I was quite surprised that I wasn't allowed to drive for two weeks, for example.
All the comments posted are great. Just to add
1. Don't use a straw in your drinks afterwards. It can contribute to major gas that is extremely pain!!!
2. make a small "pillow" out of a towel or something that you can use to hold on your incision and provide some counter pressure as you try to shift or get out of bed. My nurse used a small hospital towel and just wrapped tape around it to make it square and wrote "Hug Me" on it.
3. Walk as much as you can and drink hot tea to get your bowels moving again! They will give you medicine as well, but hot drinks and walking help a lot!
4. Don't panic if your milk doesn't come in right away. It will come! Eat a ton of good for you foods with high calories to help your body recover and have what it needs to produce the milk
5. Get as many pairs of the hospital underwear as they will give you! They are so comfy and stretchy and won't bother your incision. I didn't know about these with my C-section but they look awesome: http://www.mom4life.com/catalog.php?item=1736
6. This might also help long-term:http://store.pacifieronline.com/bel1318.html
Best of luck! Oh, and if you do have a schedule c-section, I might get a waxing job beforehand. It wasn't the greatest when the nurses shaved just the top half of the pubs where they needed to make the cut and left the rest! yuck!
if i was around, i would come over to help you!!
I didn't have a c/s but even with a vaginal birth I couldn't walk (or sit) normally for about 6 weeks. Birth, no matter how you do it, needs LOTS of recovery time. I wish I had known this ahead of time.
I delivered a large baby (9lbs 7oz)and he did not have shoulder dystosia.
I had lots of infections in pregnancy too...I think I went through 3 rounds of antibiotics and one yeast infection treatment in the course of my pregnancy. I know how you feel....argh. It's all those hormones going wonky.
onmy feet 12 hours later and walking the halls the next day. Able to walk and climb steps upon arrival home. They don't encourage you to stay in bed. I had to roll on my side and push myself up to get out of bed, but I've had to do that after a bad trip to the gym before. Really, my abs just felt like I had a really tough workout. I didn't start exercising again until 8 weeks out. I had c-sections with both babies - first was breech, second was giant. Recovery was much easier than I had anticipated. I just ended up taking the motrin every 8 hours and never needed to take the Percocet they offered.
Oh - and get some x-tra large granny panites to wear home. The normal bikini ones hit right at my incision site.
Here are my tidbits:
--I was closed with glue (dermabond I think is the name) and EVERYONE who has seen my incision has remarked about how great it looks
--DO NOT take percocet after if you intend to breast feed as it can interfere with your milk coming in. I was absolutely fine with just Motrin.
--Take pre-emptive gas X for at least two weeks after your section. The nurses gave it to me in the hospital.
--I got a suppository to soften my stool just after my section and I thank the heavens for it. I never had any bowel problems at all.
--I was walking around the next morning and frequently walked the halls of the unit. I attribute my quick recover to all the walking.
--They put a girdle on me immediately after the surgery and I wore it for about a week. I actually found it easier to get out of bed immediately post section than when I was 40weeks pregnant.
--At exactly six weeks PP (3/28)I started back participating in the high impact, rugby-like contact sport that I did before pregnancy. Aside for normal muscle soreness, I'm totally fine.
I was terrified of a C section and it really hasn't been bad at all.
Good luck!!! You'll be fine no matter how your little one enters this world!
I had a c section after 42 hours in labor and I am glad I did.
I was up and walking the next morning. The only thing I really couldn't do by the time I went home was carry the baby up and down the stairs. Just walking was fine. I felt normal by 3 weeks after. Just make sure you try to get moving as soon as possible, the longer you just lay therre the worse it is.
I had staples for the incision. They weren't bad, but I had to go home with them and have them out a week later at my OBs office. The problem I had with the mesh panties they give you is that they would stick to the staples. I did much better with big ( 2 sizes bigger than normal) granny panties.
If you are planning to BF I would definately bring a boppy or my breast friend pillow. It was so much easier on my incision to have some place other than my tummy to rest her while feeding.
When I have my second I will probably just opt for a second c section. It was nothing big.
My wife had a c/s 6 months ago, so I can answer you questions (I guess it doesn't make a difference, that we live in Germany).
1. How long were you bedridden?
She was up and walking 24 hours after the c/s
2. How long did it take for you to be able to walk around normally
Like 3-5 days
3. How long until you were back to normal, able to exercise, etc?
She could take care of our son like 3 days after surgery. She went back to exercise like 6 weeks later (your suposed to wait 6-8 weeks to start exercising again - at least that' what they tell you in Germany)
4. Did the stitches ever come open?
I don't really understand that question but my wife never had any problems with the stitches.
5. How wide was the incision, and did it heal nicely or is it all big blotchy and puffy red 6 mo later?
I looks good, you barley see it. The only time it itches is when the weather is about to change *lol*.
After all, the c/s wasn't that bad. Since my wife wasn't able to do the "bonding-thing" I got to do it with our son. He lay on my chest the first hour while my wife was still in surgery...it was wonderful.
(Sorry for my bad englisch)
I had two c-sections 17 months apart and recovered beautifully from both. It took me three days to get off pain meds from the first and a week from the second. I am going to try for a VBAC with baby #3 I'm carrying, but we'll see.
I would tell you not to worry so much about the size. A lot of times they get those things wrong and perform unnecessary C-sections for what ends up being a 7 or 8 pound baby. I also don't know what kind of infection you have. Is it Group B strep (if that's not too personal of a question)?
I would really try for a vag birth if I were you. Trust your body. Try to get things started. Evening primrose oil, lots of sex, nipple stimulation, orgasms, walking around and staying active. Fun stuff. :)
I was terrified of a c but, as others have said, it wasn't too bad. I was on mag, that was the worst part but that wasn't part of the c. My two points of advice:
#1. Avoid foods that will stop you up as the first BM is the worst and the softer the better. Stool softener can also help.
#2. My partner got me one of those "husband" pillows to put in the bed at home and it help A LOT with getting in and out of the bed. The most painful part was getting in and out of bed (laying flat then getting up). Check it out!
Best of luck!
Post a Comment