I've made it to 5DPO, imagine that. :) So far no real symptoms, other than massive bloating from progesterone. Right now I still have the HCG shot and progesterone in me, so I'm sure that chemical cocktail is screwing with my head.
NO idea if these are truly symptoms, or just something else...
1) On/off twinges near uterus, belly button, sides
2) Hot flash last night
3) Sharp shooting pains down the backside of my left leg (below my bum). WTH? I haven't had this before, and the pains are infrequent, but annoying. Could be that I've been on the sofa watching a lot of TV. :)
4) Some deep aches in my bbs, that sometimes reach into my armpits. Oddly, my boobs don't hurt when I touch them, though. Still, I think a lot of this is progesterone suppositories.
5) Sharp pain on top of my head for a minute. I think this was the start of a caffeine withdrawal headache, though.
6) I had a dream I got a BFP last night.
7) 1-2 whiteheads on my face. I never get these.
Speaking of caffeine....everyone I know who got pregnant quit coffee/soda/tea cold turkey. Like, they drank NONE, not even decaf. I tried that before, but I get horrible withdrawal headaches that turn into migraines. For those loyal blog followers of mine, you know I get BAD migraines and need my special Rx to get rid of them. The Rx I take is supposedly really bad for fetuses, so I'm stuck between a rock and hard place.
I've decided to drink 1 half-caf a day. I get a tall St@rbcks half-caf, and that usually does the trick. I'm curious to get your thoughts, though. Did you all give up coffee in the TWW/pregnancy? Do you think 1 half-caf a day is ok? (Be honest) :)
Sunday, December 21, 2008
5DPO Check In
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
I hear you on the bloating. I am pretty much living in elastic waist pants and pjs. I'm not gonna lie - it's pretty sexay :)
I have been off coffee (my main source of caffeine) since June, per my acupuncturist orders. Since then I have limited caffeine - black tea mostly. I am trying to switch to strictly herbal but haven't been completely successful. Since I'm not preggers (yet) I can't say whether this has worked or not. I would love to hear that people have gotten pg without cutting out caffeine!
Good luck not obsessing. I'm right behind you!
My wife did not quit drinking caffeine for any of it, and we are due in 28 days. We got a BFP on our first try which she contributes to Dr. Pepper and sweet tea.
Up to two cups of fully caffeinated coffee is fine. I don't drink coffee, but I drink caffeinated beverages and sodas (diet, even, sacrilege), and didn't give those up. Granted, my pregnancy failed, but I got pregnant, and it didn't fail because of caffeine.
In the two cycles prior to my recent bfp, I had 1-2 cups of half-caf daily. The only bad thing... I ended up weaning off that really quickly, as coffee tastes really sour/bitter to me now, so that meant I had withdrawal headaches for about a week.
Your symptoms are very interesting... hope they mean good things. May the next nine-ish days fly by!
I stopped my daily coffee habit when we were TTC, HOWEVER I have not come close to swearing off caffeine entirely. I still stop for a grande decaf caramel machiato one or two times a week....I believe in the "everything in moderation" way of thinking.
And there have been recent studies that say that a little caffeine during pregnancy doesn't hurt anything. So I wouldn't worry about your coffee a day. Especially if it helps you feel better, which I think is very important in TTC/pregnancy, we want our bodies and minds to feel as good as possible.
I did not give up coffee during my TWWs, but I was consuming only 1 small 6 oz cup per day. Now that I am PG, coffee isn't very appealing to me most of the time so I've switched to black tea in the mornings if I want the caffeine boost. When I feel like it I have treated myself to decaf espresso beverages. I think weaning yourself off slowly would be fine or even limiting your total daily intake to the equiv. of 2 cups per day.
Also, exciting symptoms!
I know you have bad migraines. I suffer from them, too, but what you've described and the frequency is nothing like mine.
I went from full caf to half caf...had MASSIVE headaches for 2 weeks (but no migraines) and then tapered off to 1/4 caf, and then 100% decaf.
I think you have to go what you feel comfortable with and what is best for your health with the migraines.
The only thing about the Star*ucks is this: their coffee has the highest caffeine content--almost 3 times more--any other coffee tested. So even their decaf has up to 30% full caffeine!
Would it be possible for you to brew your own blend at home and have more control over the type and amount of caffeine?
Just a thought.
That being said, I know plenty of people--my boss for instance and probably the entire country of Italy --who did not give up caffeine TTC.
I tried to limit my caf, but did not rid of it entirely. I went from 3-4 cups a day to 1-2 during the ttc, and have gone back up during the break. I think if you slowly decrease the intake, it makes withdraw a tad better. I agree with travelher about Star.bucks...it is both expensive and crazy strong, so maybe you can make it at home and not only save some dough, but you would get to drink more!
The progesterone really messed with my head too. I totally understand. I have only had 1 try and obsessed the whole time. Now that try #2 is right around the corner I'm really trying hard to not obsess. Easier said then done.
I gave up most caffeine. Giving up that morning coffee was so hard. But I hear that 1 or 2 cups a day is fine. I just personally decided to give it up.
Good Luck! I can't wait to see what happens. My FX for a BFP!
For cycles 4-8 I gave up coffee. It was so hard, I really missed that part of my morning routine. I had some decaf once in a while but less and less with each BFN.
I'm back on the coffee now but will stop again my TWW. It probably doesn't make a difference to be honest. There are so many things that need to happen for a pregnancy to work out, don't sweat the small stuff.
Hoping for you!
I gave up caffeinated coffee a few months before we started trying. I have the occassional cup of decaf every once in awhile. I also have some decaf tea a couple of times a month. I've heard that a cup of regular coffee when pregnant is just fine.
Like everyone else has commented, some caffeine is okay. I was told 200mg per day or less. I had such grand notions about giving up my once a day soda habit but alas it is still what I look forward to when nothing else sounds good.
I too have bad migraines and the caffeine is ALWAYS a life saver. I was on Imitrex injections until I got pregnant. My migraines were mostly menstrual related so I have not had any so far during the pregnancy.
And as for the symptoms, I felt most of them also before my BFP. I too chalked them up to the progesterone.
Post a Comment