Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, December 29, 2008

Year in Review

===Update 12/30===
Blood test confirmed BFN. 0 HCG in my system, I guess that means no! ;-) I'm doing ok, actually. My worst grieving time is usually 1-2 days beforehand, when my HPT's give me the headstart. I've let this cycle go, and am ready to move forward. Knowing how bad this year has been, it's not altogether surprising that I'd get one last BFN before New Year's Eve, eh? Next cycle happens in a new year, and right now I'm trying to be very optimistic. :)
==================

First of all, congrats to Chronicles of Conception, they just had their baby boy today!

I was perusing Queerstork's blog today, and am borrowing her "Year in Review" list. I realize my responses are a bit depressing, but then again, 2008 was crappy. I am very optimistic about 2009!

I go in for a blood test tomorrow morning, to confirm the BFN. Let's assume it is, in fact, a BFN. If otherwise, I'll post something.

Now, for the Year in Review!

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Tried to get pregnant. Saw what the inside of my uterus looks like. Organized a rally and volunteered at phone banking (Prop 8). I switched careers (left the sales world). Planned a funeral. Learned to knit. Also, went to a UCC Church.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I just wanted to get pregnant, but it didn’t happen. For 2009, I hope to get pregnant, to go to church more often, eat healthier, and get out of my funk.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth
Lots of people! I had four good friends give birth, as well as my sister.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My Aunt died unexpectedly, and my grandma died a week later.

5. What places did you visit?
We went to LA/Orange County, Napa/Sonoma, Russian River. (Our travel budget is very small, due to TTC costs)

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Duh, a baby! And a more healthy body.

7. What day from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Watching my grandma pass away, as I held her hand.

8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?

We spent 8 months TTC, and I managed to not drive off a cliff from the insanity of bad doctors, tons of tests, HCG, SHG, hysteroscopy surgery, IUIs, BFNs, etc. (I came close, though) We also switched doctors and donors. Oh, and I transferred my job at work. Took a year to make that happen! Also, made a stretched-canvas art piece from Marimekko fabric.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Not getting pregnant. Gaining 20 pounds.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major, but I found out I have many recurring uterine polyps. Had to have them cut out, and they may grow back in a few months. ☹

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our Room & Board sofa. Also, the paint color that allowed us to add an accent wall!

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Becky dealt pretty well with me, through the TWWs.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?

My mom. I can’t begin to recount the things she’s said and done (on a consistent basis).

14. Where did most of your money go?

Sperm, fertility bills, and baby shower presents! ;)

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

First few IUI cycles. Also, this most recent cycle post surgery. Had my hopes up. Also was really excited about opening some wine bottles, like a 1987 Cabernet, 1998 Cab, and a Silver Oak. Also very excited to see my friend’s baby girl just an hour after she was born.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2008?
“Somewhere over the Rainbow” and “What a Wonderful World” by Iz.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
 a) happier or sadder? 
b) thinner or fatter? 
c) richer or poorer?
Sadder. Fatter (20lbs), and poorer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise, eating healthy, been more social, started fertility drugs sooner.

20. How did you spend Christmas in 2008?

Fever and migraine at home. (Couldn’t take Rx because I was on TWW)


21. Did you fall in love in 2008?

No.


22. What are your three favourite photos of 2008?
My cleaned out uterus...photo given to me after hysteroscopy.


23. What was your favourite TV program?

Top Chef, Girls Next Door, Jon & Kate Plus Eight

24. What did you do for your birthday in 2008?
Becky took me out for dinner somewhere nice.

25. What was the best book you read?

One Nation Under Gods (ex-Mormon book) & Big Book of Crosswords ☺

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?

israel kamakawiwo'ole (“iz”)

27. What did you want and get?
Got to see KT Tunstall live!!!!

28. What did you want and not get?

A baby in mah belly.

29. What were your favourite three films this year?
Sex & The City. Pineapple Express. I think those are the only two movies I saw this year. (I’m a Netflix kinda girl)

30. Did you make some new friends this year?

I made a couple of friends at work. I retreated from some other friends, for no reason. Also, made some great e-friends through the blogoshpere. ☺

31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I’m going to copy Queerstork’s reply and say “Two Pink Lines.” Also, if I had lost 20 pounds, and if my company had gone public.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

Sweats and hoodies are my fashion.

33. What kept you sane?

My dog & my girl. Also, one of my work friends, and all of you! It’s been so great to be able to hope, celebrate and cry together.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Prop 8. Nuff said. Well, at Rick Warren being invited to give the invocation.

35. Who did you miss?
My Boston friends. Also, the skinny, happy, athletic person I was a few years ago.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

Two friends at work, and all of you!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.

No matter what the critics say, Mama Mia is a horrible movie! But seriously, I learned that we’ll have to go through life without any family to support us emotionally (or financially). We’ll just never have parents that want to be close to us, support us, and will ever feel genuinely happy for us. I learned that it’s pretty much impossible for me to lose weight. Ok, I have to end with something positive…so I also learned that it’s better to say yes more often than no.

4 comments:

bleu said...

I wish so much I could tell you how all of the pain and frustration will be a distant memory and you will find your dreams and your family making you so want. I believe it for you but I know how empty that is for you.

I wish I could tell you how having bio family let you down, or disown you and never even know your future child will hurt a long time but eventually you will come to know it is a poison your child will be better off without and you will create your own extended family and your child will grow up knowing family and love.

I have experienced that and truly believe it for you but also know these words don't mean much in the place you are currently in.

I hear your frustration and pain and desperation and fear so deeply when I read your words. I want so much to offer you sage wisdom to make it somehow more bearable or less scary.

(disclaimer: I AM hormonal and highly emotionally at present so please do not be put off at how strongly I may come across the sentiment is honest and true)

Your words touch me though and I feel so much from them, as if they are tangible somehow and I just wish I could offer something to take even a tiny bit away.

Please just know you are in my thoughts and meditations.

A said...

My dear new Blog Friend. I'm so sorry. There really are no words to make the rough year you have been through better. All I can do is hope that 2009 is going to be better and know I will be here cheering you on the whole way. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We will be on the ttc train together in 2009! Let's hope it goes smoothly and quickly. Sorry about your cycle this month. I really enjoyed reading your year in review and getting to know you better. I think you and Becky are going to be great moms. I will be cheering you on in this upcoming year.

J

Anonymous said...

Ah, bah to that update. We're sorry. Here's to a 2009 overflowing with babies!