Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Doppler recommendation?

Hey guys - assuming all goes well at our Tuesday appt, I'd like to buy or rent a doppler. I want to make sure we get a good one, one that has the best odds of picking up a hb at 11 weeks.

Any recommendations on which is the best one to buy/rent?
Any tips on how to best use it? Does it happen often that you can't find the hb (just so I don't panic) :)

PS - The pregnancy fatigue is in FULL SWING. Totally to the max. I am in bed 10 hours a day, and I feel like a zombie the rest of the day. Does it get better?

10 comments:

Pufferfish said...

Some friends of our loaned us theirs for our pregnancy, so I don't know where it came from or how much. I'm not much help there.

However, we were able to get a heartbeat around 11-12 weeks...or so we thought!
We were very reassured listening and then one day we heard this really fast heartbeat and realized that all along we'd been picking up my heartbeat and smiling along. DUH!

The fatigue gets better--it really does. I know it's hard to believe right now, but you are going to be amazed in a couple of weeks.
I went from a lardy lump on the couch to out and about just like my normal self in a matter of days.
It will happen!
For now...sleep:)

Unknown said...

We used Baby Beat. We rented it. After our miscarriage, they were very good about refunding our money.
I found it was better if I was laying down and using lots of the gel.

dariasquirrel said...

hope some caring soul reads this and has a doppler to loan you! (unfortuneately, i do not.) BUT, i can tell you that i went from slow and low tempo back to my normal self in the second trimester and it was somewhat magical. just let yourself rest as much as you can, that's my mantra, anyway! (even if i fall asleep making lists with boxes frequently.) oh, did i mention the tireds come back? i'm getting zonked a lot in the last few weeks and i'm pushing week 34- just going with the flow! enjoy your zzZzzzzzZZzz's!

N said...

I'd lend you the one I've got, but we're still using it. ;-)

It was given to me by a friend, who got it off of Ebay for about $90 including shipping. It looks like the sonotrax, but it's an off brand that says Contac or something like that. It works really, really well though, and has been a HUGE sanity saver for us.

Anonymous said...

Baby Beat. They have a nicer one than our OB did. it was around $75 for 3 months.

Unknown said...

I also got baby beat. They were so nice on the phone. The unit was easy to use and it was $25/month. We kept it through the whole pregnancy - I loved "checking in" with the baby!

Two Moms, Two Monkeys said...

Never used a doppler, just as I was going to get one I started to feel the kicks and figured that was enough of a confirmation. As for the sleepiness, enjoy it!!! What I would give to have just a few uninterrupted hours of sleep! I miss those early days of pregnancy where you are so tired you can barely see straight, and since your pregnant you can sleep all you want! Take advantage!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it does get better. You'll have heaps of energy in your second trimester. And you'll appreciate it like you never have before.

Laurie said...

We purchased our doppler off eBay for $90 and have been SO happy with it. We found the HB with ease the day we got it - 12w4d. It comes with gel, headphones and a wire to upload the HB to your computer. Here is a link to an auction from the same seller I used: http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-3Mhz-BABY-DOPPLER-PRENATAL-HEART-FETAL-MONITOR-GEL_W0QQitemZ180405574534QQihZ008QQcategoryZ117028QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem .

Good luck choosing one! :)

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

No advice here; just wanted to say I hope your appointment goes well!